Progress Feedback

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Giepie, 31 Jul 2009.

1. Giepie

Giepie

I joined MASA in March this year knowing less than nothing of this hobby. I've had a FW system for a long time, so I had some sort of an idea that switching to marines are going to be hard... I was offered a tiny nano (45-50L - with 2 clows, some live rock and a box filter - all for R400), but the paw-paw hit the fan when I saw the condition of it... ... ... It... was... bad... I took the hole lot; it was a hostile take-over... I could not believe that a person would neglect livestock like that...

I took a pic of the tank and posted it with my first thread, basically going on my knees and begging for advice... MASA answered all my prayes... One member (Amalick) took some time off from his hectick schedule and helped me with some tests... The results was even worse that expected... Lets just say the water was a mixture of Dead Sea water / used toilet water... I then purchased my own basic water test kits and have been running in-and-out of this forum, picking up tricks and suggestions as I was going...

Today, with MASA behind me, I'm glad to say that things are 1000% better than it was almost 5 months ago. The livestock I have is happy, life are appearing on my LR that I can only dream of (Tubeworms & white hairy sponges). Sadly, the LR that I got with the 50L nano is still not showing signs of life, but there's hope for it.

In this time of learning I realised that I have a complete system (my ex-FW system - 1m tank with stand & lights ) that could be converted into a Marine system with very little expenditure... Well, after 2 months of maturing the water and getting the basic water parameters right, my fishy friends now have a bigger home, more space to swim and do what fishies do best! I'm still just having a bit of a battle with my sump, but I'll get it right and sorted out. I'm sure I'm doing a lot right, but it's just that little something that I'm doing wrong that is causing me to transfer water to & from the sump manually...

My job isn't done yet, as I'm planning to build my own "big-screen-marine-tv"... 1.7m(long)X55cm(wide)X75cm(high)... Then I'll run it for a few months to mature, get the parameters right and transfer the fish & the last of the LR over...

I'll post some pics of my progress with my next reply, but I must just say one more thing:
    MASA - You guys and gals are the best... Everybody who ever gave me some sort of advice / suggestions I just want to say thank you... Sinceraly thank you from my fishie-friends & I.

This is the old home after everything was the way it was supposed to have been... I know it's not much...

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anemone

Anemone

Good to have you here and good to hear that you have benefited from the site. One thing about Marine life, you can never know enough! Those who stay in it are constantly learning.....Thats never a bad thing! I hope that you too can do the same.

4. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

Here's a pic of the 1m tank - What I call the new home...[​IMG]

A few pics of my live stock
    Mandorinfish
    [​IMG]

Cleanershrimp
    [​IMG]

Tomato clown
    [​IMG]

Common clown & Clarkii in the background
    [​IMG]

Bi-Colour Blennie
    [​IMG]

Pincoushin Urchine
    [​IMG]

This is the tubeworms that I found on my LR
    [​IMG]

another specie of tube worm
    [​IMG]

Hairy white sponge (a cluster of 4 - found 9 in total on 1 rock)
    [​IMG]

and lastly, something I still need to have identified... Just waiting for it to grow bigger so that I can get a better picture of it...
    [​IMG]

And that's it for now... I did not take pics of the hell-hole tank, but believe me, the conditions was bad. I'm sure that with MASA behind me, I can not go wrong with my "big-screen-marine-tv"

5. Anemone

Anemone

I hate to be the one to bring you bad knews, but I would work on exchanging the gravel for live sand. I would also take out the Mandarinfish and find it a new home. Your tank is much too young to support the live food that it needs. On a good note, your LR is showing some nice critters!

6. Tony

Tony

Im with Anemone on the mandarin and gravel.

7. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback Toni & Anemone - Just want to add that there's one thing I can't get a pic of and that's the amount of copepods on my LR. My mandorin also "hunts" bloodword that I feed them once a day... I have him for over a month now and I must admit, moving him to the big tank was a good thing, as his more out-and-about.

Also, I git the urchin and blennie to combat the GHA on a natural way... Not that I can sit back and let them try to do all the work, I must do my part as well (combat it at source)

But any feedback is much appreciated.

8. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Giepie...Like Anemone and Tony has has said that your tank is far to young to have a Mandarin fish...Your system has only been maturing for two months...Rather change your substrate from gravel to reggis play sand if you on a tight budget...or aragonite if you not on a budget...

9. Anemone

Anemone

Three clownfish in that size system is going to be another problem in the future.

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Everyone - just to let you know 2 things - as I too queried Giepie's purchase of the mandarin about 5 weeks ago. This mandarin is one of the VERY few that I have heard of, or saw, eating frozen blood worm.

Also - what Giepie is not highlighting here - he has now actually moved over to a new (Ashraf's old) 1.7 metre tank - and AS FAR AS I KNOW - he has changed the gravel for play sand.....

BUT, that said - I agree - his 1.7 metre tank is still very newly set up....

Giepie.... what's happening with the new tank, mate?

11. Anemone

Anemone

Wow! Awesome and rare! Keep us updated on the little guy! Any secrets on how you did this or did it happen automatically?

12. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

Hey jacquesb, nice of you to pop in and pointing out things I didn't mention... Call it my eagerness to supply MASA with feedback.

My 1st attempt of getting things sorted out with the 1.7m didn't go according to plan, so I fired up my old FW (converted to marine) system again for the time being... BUT... and this is where this whole learning thing is so f*** nice... I learnt a lot from my mistake - DON'T TRY TO RUSH FILTRATION!!! me = a$$h0le...

The gravel will have to do for now, because as soon as my 1.7m is matured, I'll be making the 1m part of my sump, and my current sump will become QT. But I'll have to get more gravel... abot another 15-20kg should be enough.

13. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

His about 2cm long so I'm going to assume that the secret is to buy juviniles who will adapt easier to tankhood than adults... As for the bloodworm issue... I'm calling it beginner's luck... Check out my thread "I know MASA luv's pics, so..." There's a pic of him in the hunting process...

ps It was my Mandorin that pointed out to me that there was a lot of copepods on my LR as I didn't know what to look for.... But don't tell the others, as they will pick up that I really know nothing...
    :whistling:

14. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Good work Giepie, nice to see lots of positive help coming your way.

15. werner5

werner5

i also had an freshwater background :lol:

16. Jaak

Jaak

Good going mate!!

17. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

lol

... For now, that is...:whistling:

Once their new mansion is set up, it will have a decent Marine background... The FW background was all that I had to hide the wires at the back...

Long shot question (please don't laugh): What kinda of paint can I use to paint my own "marine landscape" on the outside of the backglass? I have an idea of what I want to do (if possible), else I'll just go to my LFS and make him a rich man...

18. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Lmao...so true...

19. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Very nice Giepie, well done and glad you took the challenge that time and so far so good ;)
    Why not just put blue or black backing on the back glass? You can leave it then so that algae, worms, pollyps etc grow on the glass. Otherwise you'll have to keep it clean always. Some guys leave it, some clean it - some guys use black, some blue - your choice :p

20. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

Thanks Tobes, you just gave me a new idea (and now it's time to help my LFS pay his rent...)

My whole idea with the paint thing was to create some perspective (light ontop and darker bottom so that the colours blend in). The paint thing will not be a Renbrandt or Picasso, it would have been a Giepie Special.:whistling:

Recent Posts