Programmable LED's

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Raboebi, 9 Oct 2012.

1. Raboebi

Raboebi

Hi guys,

I need a bit of advice, I would like to upgrade to LED lights on my 1.2m, 600 x 600 tank.

I would like to go to the programmable side of lights, but I don't want to spend a fortune doing it either (yes yes I know, you will get those at the shop that sell chicken teeth and the ark of the covenant, etc) [​IMG]
    What do I go for?

Radion, Kessil, Vertex, Pacific Sun, etc.

I would like to keep soft corals for now but would like to keep the other stuff at a later stage.

Any help?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

You are just starting with your marine venture.

there are 2 parts to this story, part 1:
    I've see plenty of new guys entering this hobby. Going big, and BIGGER. All the latest add ons, top of the line, over the top even for softies. and the non-reefer (your spouse / partner whatever) not happy with the money spend. Only to exit the hobby within the first year, setup in the for sale section and vultures picking up the equipment at give away prices. What I'm trying to say is. Get the basic equipment. Learn first how the keep water parameters stable. understand your tank. Use SunSun pumps in your display. Use T5 lights for your softies. Some time later you would realize that you like SPS more, or clams, or actually prefer the softies. So your requirements change. Then get the flow pumps for the corals, get the light units for your corals. Start cheap, get to know what you want. Then upgrade. There are plenty T5 units in the for sale section.

Part 2:
    Now the opposite. A system success depends on the setup. The better flow pumps, good lights. Better equipment makes the husbandry routine easier. And any tasks you do now happily every week on your tank, will become a work in a couple of months, will became a schlep thereafter. So the better bigger skimmer is worthwhile. No need to throw away money on replacing working equipment when upgrading.

So yes, part 2 totally contradict part 1. The solution is to find the best path in middle.

Last point, unless you already decided on what type of corals you want, how would you know which LED unit?

My opinion, a new guy starting out, get a good T5 unit second hand. Buy SunSun pumps new. Get the best skimmer you can afford for your system.

4. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

@RiaanP, don't confuse the dude.;):biggrin: You are a conundrum. Totally agree with you!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. bollie

bollie Advanced Aquarist

@RiaanP ....spot on ..happening often these days tho and what makes it worse is the fact the 90% of the time its the Lfs misguiding them

6. Marine007

Marine007

I would suggest @RiaanP put it up as a Sticky under "New to Marines".

I was very confused when I moved to marines from freshwater and there were so much conflicting info.

I think the advice - get the best skimmer you can afford, go "cheap" on the lights (unless you know what corals you want), and first learn more about your marine tank is excellent advice. A couple of SunSun's on timer switches is also a good way to learn before splashing out on the fancy stuff.

There are so many cool LED modules, DIY LED suggestions, which are all awesome, but it makes someone new feel very stupid and their T5's inadequate ... (I know I did!)

In any case if you start with the basic stuff, you appreciate your light and wavemaker upgrades when you do go for them later.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

ok, will do

Recent Posts