Profilux + Inverter

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by Ross, 13 Mar 2011.

1. Ross

Ross

Hey Guys, was not sure weather to put this under this forum or power cuts. Suppose it fits in both.

I run my system with a Profilux. With winter coming and also just the fact we have such an unreliable power system here in SA I want to figure out how to get an inverter setup running.

I currently use a non pure sine wave if that is how you put it inverter with 2 sun sun in the tank running off 4 12 volt gel batteries if the power goes out during the night. This is a manual setup and somebody has to be here. During the day there is no problem as I run a gennie. (Dont think the neighbors would like me to run that thing all night).

The best option would obviously be to put the inverter ( will be looking to get a pure SW with deep cell batts)before the Profilux and if there is a failure, everything keeps running but that is a lot of watts to drive and I can not afford that kind of battery power. What I would like to do is run the Profilux and in some way have it just run some of the equipment like the return and maybe a VorTech.

Is there a solution for this that anybody knows of. Maybe a serial type connection to the Profilux from the inverter. (Vatos I reckon you would probably have the best ideas about this)

The only other option I can think off is to get another digital power bar for the Profilux and have the equipment I want to run in the power failure on that bar and let the inverter setup put power into that bar only (and maybe keep the Profilux running)

Ta,

Ross

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. gaboon

gaboon

My return pump (OR3500) is connected to a modified sinewave inverter with a deep cell battery, bypassing the profilux. The return is enough to keep your tank going. I think a deep cell battery will cost in the region of 1k, I think I get about 8-10 hours on it.

4. lIghty

lIghty

Gaboon has mentioned the most common method of control.

As for your idea, it would work, leaving all the essentials on the one plugbar connected to the inverter.

Another possible method would be to use an input of the profilux to detect a power failure and the programming of the controller (Don't know the Profilux) to de-activate certain outputs.

Last edited: 13 Mar 2011
  5. Ross

Ross Thread Starter

Lighty, yeah need to find out how to do that as is first prize for sure..... um without smoking the Profilux.

Gaboon, your idea is probably the cheapest but taking the Profilux out of the picture kind of makes me feel cheated if you know what I mean, and when I do a 20 min feeding pause when I go to bed to feed the coral, I would have to wait to turn in all back on.

MMmmmmmm

Recent Posts