Profilux help

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mytank, 29 Oct 2011.

1. mytank

mytank

Hi all,

I am a bit of a retard when it comes to calibration and stuff so need some help with my profilux. Trying to set it up and reading the instructions around calibration, has anyone done this? Can you do this through the web interface or do you have to use the menu on the little LCD screen. Got the profilux III with the temp, ph and conductivity sensors. Just need some guidance please.

Sent from my SGH-i917 Microsoft Windows Phone 7 (Mango) using Board Express

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

You can only calibrate via the profilux module or from the screen that simulates the module display.

Buy me a beer and i will pop over tomorrow and give you a hand later in the day. going to a party in a few moments so will be off line soon. just send me a PM of add details etc \

4. wouterloosman

wouterloosman

When calibrating you conductivity, make sure you calibration fluid is the same as your tank. (Just put it in your sump for a couple of hours)

5. Marine1

Marine1

I agree with that as it put my cond out by this my.... My reading on system was 1.0227 and when had it tested it was 1.033 dead sea stuff, Profilux has a problem, check from your supplier to give the correct settings as it calculates m/s and coverts

6. wouterloosman

wouterloosman

I don't know if Profilux has a problem. What most people forget is that the the Profilux is displaying Density. Density is something different as Specific Gratify.

I also tried calibrating my Profilux to give the same reading as my Refractometer. But this is impossible, because you are measuring something else.

My Profilux is now displaying 1.0233 (what is Density). When I use my Refractometer, it gives me a reading of 1.025 (SG).

I found this document. Maybe it helps clearing some problems:
    Measuring salt levels in a marine aquarium

Wouter

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

The profilux is.... Not measuring density. Nor specific gravity. Nor salinity. It is measuring the ms. And it is also measuring the ms in relation to the calibration temperature and ms of the reference calibration solution. This calibration procedure needs to be conducted at the reference and probe temperature of 25C.

Once calibrated, both the profiilux and Aquatronica allow for a unit of measure change. This option is a mathematical calculation and approximates to the table in the link.

When comparing ms readings from a digital device, be it a profilux, Aquatronica, Pinpoint, Hanner or other make to a refractometer it is important to calibrate and test at the same temperature if the refractometer is not a ATC model. You are then comparing apples with apples. If you are using an ATC refractometer and the instrument was calibrated at 20C and now test the sample when the instrument and sample is at 25C then you are comparing apples with pares because the ATC is giving a compensated reading to 20C. You will most likely find that the difference somewhere in the regon of 0.0014

This thread and the refractometer calibration one are so closely related as are the other measurement of parameters. Each influences the other.

Last edited: 29 Oct 2011
  8. John_Mel

John_Mel

Profilux

Hi, being new to aquariums I am unfamiliar with some of the terms used. Could you please explain what the term "ms" as used above means?

Thank you

9. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Recent Posts