Profilux Doser

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by mytank, 1 May 2012.

1. mytank

mytank

Just wondering for those that have had experience with these units, how powerful are these little pumps, I have my 210l container about two meters away and have my RO tubing in it, will the little pump be able to do 6l water change spread over 24 hours?

Would be interesting to get some views @mariusmeyer I know you have one any experience?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i used to have one and found that it was pretty powerful, since its peristaltic no impellar etc, no head loss. the best way is to test, or you looking at getting one?

4. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

As Dallas said, there is no head loss. And distance is no issue either. You could pump it a long way. I love mine. Best investment after my backup power solution. You will just have to calibrate yours if you get one. The pumps on mine averaged around 42-49ml per minute. So 6L per day is easy.

But why do you want to do a waterchange over 24 hours. Because in theory you will be replacing some water that you added earlier in the day. In practice this might not be such a big issue though.

5. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

@dallasg , @mariusmeyer, @Nemos Janitor, @ADVdiver

Great I have one its been sitting here never used it (its a x4 without computer since I have the Profilux 3ex main unit)

Here is the theory, I have three drums (all the electrics and plumbing done):

2x 100l
    1x210l

Drum 1 - RO water
    Drum 2 - Mixing station
    Drum 3 - Mixed Salt water

The logic with the doser was to do a daily water change (6l) now I wasn't sure if I should:

1. Do a water change constantly through out the day totaling 6l
    2. Do a 6l water change at the end of the day say at 21:00

Now the reason I was going to do small changes throughout the day was so that I wouldn't "Stress" the pump out doing a 6L all at once. I thought these little pumps where made just to do ML's at a time and didn't want to over work it.
    @mariusmeyer - How did you find programming the Doser through the profilux. I have a Solenoid valve (electric) I want to use as a fail safe on the "Salt Top Up" after the 6l water change, is it easy enough to first turn on the Solenoid then top up the water?

I got the idea from @ADVdiver it was his brain child I just got off my a$$ and installed the hardware, now comes the profilux programming......

I have the 3ex sitting here doing nothing with the x4 doser at the moment.....

6. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

@mariusmeyer - calibrate really? what needs to be done?

7. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I have the stand alone doser so I dont know hjow it works if you go through the main unit. I use mine as a doser so no solenoids etc involved.

Yes, you have to calibrate it as each pump could be different. How you calibrate is you press the manual dosing button (red one) for a minute and then measure how many mls you got. I did this 3 times to get an average for each pump. Once you get the mls per minute you have to set the unit up with these as it uses this mls to determine how long the pump should be running to get to your required dosage. On the stand alone unit there is a calibration item in the main menu. When calibrating remember to prime the pipe first otherwise you will not be able to get the amount of mls inside the pipe for your reading.

8. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Thanks @mariusmeyer, when you say prime the pipe what do you mean by that?

9. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Priming is when you ensure that the piping is filled with liquid whole way through. When you press the manual button and the piping in primed liquid needs to come out straight away.

Last edited: 2 May 2012
  10. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Ok cool got it THANKS! how did you manage to keep the liquid in the pipe whilst the pump wasn't pulling though?

11. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

There is no air inside the pipe as the rollers pinch it closed at multiple places. With no air in the pipe gravity cant effect the water so it will stay in the pipe.

Recent Posts