Prodibio

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Dean Schreuder, 7 Jan 2012.

1. Dean Schreuder

Dean Schreuder

Hey All

I spoke to Furbs the other day, by the way thanks for the sale and help :)

I have done some research on the product and want to give it a go, Want to know tho.. Should i start the lighting straight away? I wont stock in a hurry will wait like 2 weeks think thats fine?
    Should i run a phosphate reactor to remove my phosphates to avoid unwanted algae (Have readings of 1mg/l), Should i Run the Skimmer? I know they instruct u not to a certain period?

How should i maintain my tank afterwards, just dose every 2 weeks and do water changes and monitor the water paramaters.:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Will reply when home, but good choice, used them succesfully and very easy

Dean Schreuder likes this.
  4. Dean Schreuder

Dean Schreuder Thread Starter

Thank you cant wait to hear the do's and donts i also have chemipure, purigen and Seagel that i can add to my tank just not sure when.. i know not now.. well maybe the seagel just to prevent algae breakout but dont think i will have that with ProdibioStart up?? or will i? depends on phosphates and silicates im sure?

5. dallasg

You can run all of those
    Seagel needs to be replaced every 30 days for optimal performance
    Purigen lasts about 6 months and can be recharged
    Chemipure i have never used but hear good things

As for prodibio, if you follow the regime it works wonders, very simple and easy to maintain. But can be expensive to run.

My suggestion is good live rock, good skimmer and use prodibio bio-digest and bio-optim and all will be good, bio startup is the same thing just with stop ammo
    With bi-monthly water changes u will have a great system.

6. Dean Schreuder

Ok went shopping today, got some sea chem stability, prime and the ammonia test.
    Im still planning on letting the tank mature before adding anything. When should i turn on the lighting? Im going to add the additives to try prevent a major onset off algae. Lastly i have placed a shrimp in the water it decomposed fully and my ammonia is not that high, neither is my nitrites so i have added a bit of flake food.

7. Tony

Tony

Which products do you want to use and for what purpose. I cycled my tank in a day with prodibio and added livestock after 24 hours with no loss using the prodibio startup which is the biodigest and am stop. The trick is not to run a skimmer for at least two weeks, check your ammonia twice a day and have a product to neutralise it like seachem amguard. Feed only what the fish will eat in a few seconds which means you will have to feed more often to avoid food being wasted. I started vodka dosing right from the start at a dosage of 1ml per 100 litres of water to boost bacterial populations. Also dont feed on the first day as the fish are still nervous in their new environment and wont eat till they are settled.

The downside is that your parameters will be out of wack for months. I was adding tons of alkalinity to my tank but my calcium and magnesium hardly ever moved. My water was a bit cloudy for a few weeks but this cleared up.

To use prodibio for nutrients reduction I just used the biodigest with vodka. I add one vial per 1000 litres of water every friday night and turn the skimmer off overnight. Watch it when you turn it on as it foams like mad for about an hour, so set it down a bit. If you are in an established tank then you have to start slowly with the vodka at a dosage of 0,5ml per 100 litres for two weeks then go to the full dosage. Add the vodka to your main display and not your sump so the skimmer doesnt remove it. Doing this you dont need all phosphate removers and nitrate removers. If you find your phosphates aren't coming down then you can add a remover as there has to be a ratio of phosphate to nitrate in order to remove all of it.

8. Dean Schreuder

Thanks for all the help I won't be stocking now so can I still add vodka? And is it any pure distilled vodka or do u need a good brand, u say I should dose at 0.5ml per 100l. I'm currently using sea chem stability as a bacteria sourse. As I could not get my hands on prodibio.

9. Tony

Tony

Any old cheap vodka will do. No need to use Belvedere or Skyy. If you have nothing in the tank then no nutrients are being added and you can add livestock as soon as your ammonia hits zero. Dont stress about nitrites as they arent toxic to marine fish. You dont want to leave your tank too long after zero ammonia as this can compromise the biological filter which needs a constant source of ammonia from fish's biological movements. The trick is that you have a strong enough biological filter to process that ammonia so that it cant reach toxic levels which is why you stock a tank up slowly to allow the filter to adapt to the new bioload.

Seachem stability is good and @dallas cycled a tank in a day with the bacteria and one or two other products from their company. Speak to some of the sponsors about prodibio. I'm sure a few of them stock it

10. dallasg

yip if you follow the directions there should be no issues,
    come past wild on pets when we have the jhb reef meeting, its in the jhb forum, and we can discuss visually and can show you prodibio, seachem stability and Microbelift Special Blend

ultimately the choice must be made based on how you want to do things and involvment etc

11. Dean Schreuder

Sounds like a plan, will definatly get some prodibio.. As with the vodka i added the seachem and did a sera phosphate test and it went to 2mg /l i have added orca phosphate gaurd hope this will take effect soon, its either that or a faulty test kit? i have been using r/o water waterboy, have crushed fine coral as a DT substrate, live rock. i would like to know how much vodka to dose my tank is 160l.

12. Beginner

Beginner

ok, we've started our tank nearly 3 weeks ago and went to get our water tested yesterday and No3 0, No2 0.1 and ammonia 0.25. Shop owner suggest we buy Stop Ammonia and Bio Digest and put 1 vile of each in today and then get two nemo's in the next day or two and then every 3 weeks to add a vile of Bio Digest to the water. In the meantime we are adding half a cup Sea Chem Stability and stop chlorine that they gave us when we purchased the Boyu 550. Im just not sure we should go down this route? But after reading above, it seems this prodibio is a good product? Is this true on how we were told to add the prodibio products and should we still use Stability?
    We currently have two hermit crabs in the water only with live rock and one fox coral, almost dead!
    Thanks

13. 2balive

2balive

I started my tank with the Probidio, was very happy with it.

Still occasionally add stability to the tank, but around 10ml at a time, 1/2 cup sounds excessive?

Last edited: 21 Jun 2012
  14. Difficult marine

Difficult marine

beginner try to read other reefer for experience podi

The super-nano 600 - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

15. Beginner

Beginner

Thanks i have read so much, my head exploding with info! lol, everyone says different, yes they all start with startup and then different things and i guess that depends on your own unique tank.. so will go get water tested today to see where we are, after the startup being in the tank for 0ver 24 hours now! One step at a time. Thanks
    Sorry Len - i meant half a cap fill not cup.

Recent Posts