1. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

Hey guys. I just wanted to ask for some advice...

I just recieved my 30 Vial Package of Prodibio BioDigest and I wanted to know if I need to supplement the Biodigest with Carbon dosing? Do I need to add vodka to the system when using this product? Also, how much vodka do you dose on around 500L?

Thanks in advance...

PS: Thanks Marco! I got the package when I walked into the office! :peroni:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Not sure what method you are using but I have always used Biodigest in conjunction with Bioptim.

4. gaboon

gaboon

5. Tony

Tony

You can use vodka instead of the bioptim although the bioptim is better and designed for the product. Start at a dose of 0.5ml per 100 litres for two weeks and then up it to about 1ml from then on. Turn your skimmer off for a few hours after adding the biodigest.

6. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

thats the correct way..................

slagter next time you can buy the bio-clean instead of the bio-digest....as it has 15 vials of biodigest and 15 vials of bioptim

otherwise just buy a bioptim and have 30 vials each

7. gaboon

gaboon

Tony dont you mean 0.1ml per 100L, so his starting dose will be 0.5ml for his 500L tank.

8. Tony

Tony

I started with 0.5ml's. I got it from and article on reefkeeping.com on carbon dosing. I never experienced any problems or bacterial blooms

9. gaboon

gaboon

5ml starting dose seems very high, the article posted above from reefkeeping.com states 0.1ml. You must go through vodka quickly:)

10. Junz

Junz

It works best if used with BioTim.

11. Slagter

Slagter Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Ok brilliant. I'll order the 30 vials of Bioptim at the end of the month... Then I'll use them in conjunction. I probably should have done more research and ordered the Bioclean from the start, but hell... Next time.

I'll do the vodka dosing until I have the bucks to buy the Bioptim... I'll start with 0.3ml of vodka though... I don't want to change things too drastically from the onset.

So I add the vodka daily?

Thanks for the help guys...

12. Tony

Tony

I dont think 1ml per 100 litres is excessive. That's a bottle of vodka every 70 days more or less.

13. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I just bought BioClean...it's not the nano..the vials say 120-200L would need 1vial..my Tank is a Nano and with Canister Filter I'll say probably 67-68L..The Nano Kit at roughly R600 currently is a bit steep for me...:eek:..anyway...I got the Vodka..Do I leave light's on and Skimmer off for about 2hours after I dose 1 vial BIODIGEST and 1 vial BIOPTIM...? and maybe 0.2ml vodka...? with me doing the vodka on a daily basis...? Because I'll only add vials again in 2 weeks time...? Am I working this out correctly...? Would my weekly water changes not throw everything out again..balance..I mean..? should I also use Seachem Stability on a daily basis in conjunction with every 2 week Probidio and of cause my daily vodka as suggested by my LFS...?

ProdiBio Explained in full [Archive] - Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Last edited: 3 Oct 2011
  14. Tremayn

Tremayn

@belindamotion you can use 1 vial of bioptim and 1 biodigest. Dont dose vodka as you need a good efficient skimmer and anyway the bioptim is a carbon source.. When dosing biodigest, turn off the skimmer and remove carbon overnight then in the morning return the carbon and turn on the skimmer. You dont need to use stability as you will be dosing biodigest

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
    Boegie likes this.
  15. belindamotion

@Tremayn ok so 1 each is okay for my small Nano..:)..was a bit worried as my Tank size was so small..I didn't know I had to remove my Activated Carbon from my Canister Filter...thanks..;)..that is the Carbon you are refering too..?:blush: I'm a bit at a loss regarding you'r description of biodigest and bioptim...from what I was explained today by my LFS..Biodigest is the bacteria and Bioptim is the micronutrients...the two complement each other...you still need to add the fuel source..I think he said I can start with 0.2ml vodka..now I'm not sure if I listened correctly when he explained it as you say it's a fuel source only..:eek:..but he did say Bioptim is the "goodies in the water I keep on refering to"..:(..I think I need help..:p

16. Tremayn

Tremayn

@belindamotion .. Bioptim is a carbon source.. They say a lot of stuff but its basically a carbon source lol.. Yes you must remove the carbon or turn off your cannister filter as carbon will remove biodigest..

I use biodigest as my bacteria source and replaced bioptim with vodka as it works out cheaper, but I have a decent skimmer..

There is no risk of overdosing biodigest, I believe the same applies to bioptim (not to sure on this lol)

17. rakabos

rakabos

Be careful with bioptim. If you have any Cyano it will explode all over your tank like what mine did. So start with biodigest then move to bioptim once the biodigest is the dominant bacteria strain

18. Tremayn

Tremayn

+1 .. As bioptim is a carbon source ie a food source for bacteria good and bad.

19. belindamotion

@rakabos Thats also one of the reasons I'm going this route...I DO have CYANO..Bigtime...thanks to the "overdosing" of Activated Carbon...I bought the EX700...rated for 200L..came with Media...my Tank is 68L...needless to say..I found out I had 3 times the amount of Activated Carbon...I wasn't doing any form of Bacteria dosing and my Tank exploded with CYANO..:p

Last edited: 2 Oct 2011
  20. rakabos

rakabos

I very much doubt over usage of activated carbon caused a cyano spike. Remember activated carbon is what you use in a filter bag etc to remove crap from the water and polish the water. Over usage cant do much harm. Dosing carbon like Vinegar/Vodka/bioptim is what feed bacteria

21. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Hi Belinda

my advice would be for you to not dose anything into your tank. its less then 70L doing a 15L waterchange ever week will be the most beneficial thing that you can do for your system. Keep it stable and keep to the water changes and you will have an awesome system.
    Keep it simple and stable and you will be happy. Dont try and complicate it by dosing carbon and bacteria as with a nano its not needed.

Recent Posts