Prodibio vs Vodka

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by Tremayn, 19 Jul 2011.

1. Tremayn

Tremayn

Hey guys, Ive been having some GHA problems and my montis are loosing colour. I was dosing biodigest with vodka and it seemed to help when I was dosing 2 vials every 2 weeks. When I started dosing 1 vial a week then GHA started creeping up.. Now my biodigest is finished so I was wondering if I get BioClean, can I still use vodka or will the Bioclean give me a low nutrient environment?

Which do you guys think is better? Also, with vodka dosing, is it better to dose bacteria daily or according to the manufacturers directions (biodigest once every 2 weeks). I believe that when vodka dosing, the skimmer removes the nutrients along with the bacteria, so that would reduce the amount of good bacteria in the system? If that is true, then would it be better to use something like stability?

So what Im asking is, should I go:
    1) BioClean only
    2) BioClean with vodka
    3) BioDigest with vodka or
    4) Stability with vodka

Cost is also a factor :) .. Thanks guys :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

bump

5. charlv

charlv

what is your vodka dose at the moment ml wise

6. Adee

Adee

Unless some else has done exactly the same route you suggesting, I would not skimp on following/mixing the prescribed directions in terms what Prodibio has directed you to use. Its anyones guess what could possibly follow. Then again, if ends up working for you...we can then follow your recipe :).

7. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

was dosing 0.85ml a day but when my fish went into quarantine I dropped it to 0.4ml as po4 and no3 was at 0

I only used 2 vials opposed to 3 vials because I did not want the water to go too clean and the macro algae to die. Now I just want the nutrients to be low so my sps cal colour up and the GHA to go away..

8. durleo

durleo

Hey - I use Bio digest and Bioptim 2 vials every 2 weeks plus im dosing reef biofuel everyday. When the guy who formulated Prodibio came to dorry pets he said Prodibio was a very flexible product and can be used in con junction with Bio pellets - Vodkha or reef bio-fuel. He also said that the guys with bio-pellets where getting good results.

9. charlv

charlv

I here that BioClean is a very good product but why dose vodka then.

10. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

So will bioclean and vodka work or is that overkill? Will bio clean be the same as dosing vodka with biodigest?

I was thinking that perhaps its not enough?

11. charlv

charlv

What skimmer do you run and do you skim wet or dry

12. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

dude i am on 5ml a day and you not even 1ml thats the reason ur vodka not working u need to up the dose till u at zero phos and Nitrates

13. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

Reef octo NW250 with otp5000 pump rated at 1400L (just over twice my system vol) .. I skim more on the wet side. When I was dosing vodka with Biodigest the skimmer used to pull out a lot!

Skimmer used to look like this..
    [​IMG]

When dosing vodka, does the skimmer remove the bacteria and in doing so removing the BioDigest? I read that BioDigest is the Bacteria source and Bioptim is the Carbon source. So is that not the same as dosing biodigest and vodka? Just with vodka it works out the same?

@ziyaadb .. dude

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  14. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Bioclean is Biodigest and Bioptim right...Bioptim is the same as dosing vodka if I am not mistaken so not sure why you would need to dose both...guess there is no harm, I am just looking at it at an economical point of view. I would either dose biodigest and vodka or biodigest and bioptim.

At the moment I am dosing Biodigest and Bioptim every two weeks in conjunction with my Zeo Reactor...so far things are alright, sps are growing and colouring up nicely since the introduction of both...guess there is always room for inmprovement though.

I have also been toying with the idea though of dosing a carbon source daily and seeing if there are improved results.

Tremayn what size is your tank water volume wise? Reason I ask is you say u dosing two vials, you would only need to do that if your tank is over 1000L.

15. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

There you are!! I got up to 0.85ml and the no3 and po4 were at 0 so then I just halved my dosage.

16. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

Yes this is what I was thinking, that if bioDigest and vodka is the same as bioClean then the first would be more economical :) ..

According to the instructions for the standard range its 1 vial per 200L once every 2 weeks. There is a lot of confusion over this and even the prodibio site is confusing but the standard range is 200L-1000L. The pro range is 1 vial per 1000L .. They are french and if you read the FAQ you will notice odd spelling and grammar lol..

My system is 660L. I supposed to be dosing 3vials of biodigest but I didnt not want my water to become so clean that the macro algae dies, but now I dont care lol.

17. charlv

charlv

Do you feed your fish allot. The reason i ask is that it can cause high nutrients

18. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

for the last month there are no fish in the DT. Will be 6 weeks soon. The skimmer is still pulling out stuff though

19. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

no the box says one vial does 120-1000L. so in other words you can use 1 vial up to a system volume of 1000L. Also as far as I remember reading there is no need to go more than 1 vial it doesnt work any better using 2 per 1000L than 1 per 1000L.

20. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

standard range is 120L-1000L ... Then says 1 vial per 200L .. I was dosing 1 vial and this was not that helpful.. The pro range is 1 vial per 1000L .. The prodibio site is pretty confusing. This was in another thread and after research we realised that the standard range is for aquariums of 120L-1000L and its 1 vial per 200L .. :)

21. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

Recent Posts