Prodibio and Bryopsis and ...

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by JackSplat, 18 Jun 2014.

1. JackSplat

JackSplat

Hi Guys

It seems I got the dreaded Bryopsis! I have done a lot of reading and one of the products that seems to come highly recommended is Prodibio. They have several products though and the threads I saw only mentions the brand. Which Prodibio product should I be looking for?

A bit of background:

The bryopsis is quite recent but it spread to all the live rock in a matter of days.

I use red sea pro test kits and the nitrates and phosphates test zero (obviously not the case in the rocks though)

I have upped my flow and I siphon the rocks clean every day or two. I have also removed as much as possible via the siphon to suck the spores out. 50 litre weekly water changes on a 300 litre system as well. I have a fuge and cheato which is doing great.

I added microlift special blend and I run bio cubes in the sump.

I am trying to get some Kent Tech M magnesium to up the mag but it is difficult to come by. At this point I am slowly bumping the mag up to 1600 using aquavitro ions.

If you guys have more suggestions and an answer to the prodibio question it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i have it growing, luckily my sailfin blenny eats it..
    the best is to remove manually until Mg is up.

the secret is to keep it off the corals and skeletons, then let Mg and nature sort it out.

JackSplat likes this.
  4. Zuna

Zuna

came across this video when reading up on bryopsis

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  5. JackSplat

JackSplat Thread Starter

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. JackSplat

JackSplat Thread Starter

7. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I have found that you don't actually have to use the Kent product. You can raise the Mg levels with Epsom salts as well or Magnesium chloride.

8. JackSplat

JackSplat Thread Starter

Cool, good to know. From what I read and many forum posts they claim the contrary. Maybe just clever marketing in the form of a urban myth :p

9. Snoek

Snoek

Good thread. I am struggling with the same issue

10. JackSplat

JackSplat Thread Starter

Apparently the prodibio to go foris biodigest. I got some today and added a vial, will keep you posted. Mg is up to 1520 btw...

11. JackSplat

JackSplat Thread Starter

Quick update:

I raised the Mg to 1600 using Aquavitro Ions. Been there now for about 4 days. So far the algae seem to have slowed down but it can be my imagination as well :blush: . Also added the Probidio btw which may or may not have contributed to the seemingly yet unproven slow down in growth (not a very scientific approach I know)

The Kent Tech M arrived today after a week long overnight delivery due to strikes. Might as well switch over and see what happens...

12. danimal

danimal

@JackSplat any update?

also got a bryopsis outbreak, am trying to decide between epsom salts, aquavitro ions or prodibio...

13. JackSplat

JackSplat Thread Starter

@danimal. I cannot really comment on any of those individually as I took several actions at the same time, which so far seems to be doing the trick.

Added a tuxedo urchin and some emarald crabs. The urchin loves the stuff, the crabs not so much
    Added the prodibio and noted a decrease in spread of Bryopsys
    Increased the mg to 1600+ using aquavitro first, then moved over to kent about 4 weeks ago.

The bryopsys has definitely slowed down to the point where it is managable. I syphon it off weekly and it comes of the rock easier every time with less of it the next week.

I saw another thread, Bryopsis algae dissapearing after 2 days - Marine Aquariums South Africa , which might help.

Good luck

14. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Ive always used ions and works just fine.
    But took it up to 1600...
    takes about two weeks to get good results and keep the mag high all the time.

i also used a hard tooth brush to manualy get rid of what i could get to ( out of the water...)
    D

Recent Posts