Problems with zoanthids not opening up.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Jcc, 30 Dec 2008.

1. Jcc

Jcc

Got zoas in my tank with my sps. My sps is doing fine. My zoas is closed, and dont open like they normally do. Only 2 colonies and frag not opening. Got 2 venture 10k 150w bulbs with in luminarc reflectors and a 6mm glass to protect from uv. What can be the problem. Going to buy some iodine and other stuff today today to see if thats depleted

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

can u post a pic?

have you looked at possible critters around the base of them....nudibranches and the likes, flat worms etc?

seems like a number of people are battling with zoas not opening at the moment, but you should have enough light around those, which has been a common factor with other tanks.

when last did you do a water change?

do you run carbon?

any chance of sps chemically nuking them? are they upstream of the zoas?

4. Jcc

Jcc Thread Starter

Running carbon, nitrate undetectable. Running huge skimmer a bit wet on my system. Last waterchange was 10 days ago. 30% change. Got a cream angel, saw him nipping on the tenticles. Maybe he is bugging them. They only open half way. Softys seem to suffer a bit in my tank

5. crispin

crispin

do you have a calcium reactor? fairly often people seem to battle with softies and sps together. I know warr battled when he put the calcium reactor in. By cream angel is it a dwarf or full sized angel, i'm not sure of that fish. Is it reef safe, sounds like him nipping at zoas might be a starter for him having a nip of lots at sps too....watch him:)

6. crispin

crispin

out of interest was the angel nipping at tentacles or pollups?

7. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

How long have you had them for? History needed please.

8. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

A number of people using real ocean salt is complaining about corals not opening.Since they have changed to a differant brand of salt,they have seen better results.So if you using real ocean salt,that might be your problem.Heard there was a bad batch of this salt.I dont use real ocean salt,it is just what i have seen on the forums.Also,people using this salt were specifically complaining about their zoos and mushrooms not opening.Just a heads up.

9. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Well, if the SPs are happy, then you probably have too much water flow for the zoanthids - try moving them to a low-flow area, and then give them a few days to settle in.

That would definitely cause them to close up, and if the nibbling occurs regularly then you can's blame them for staying closed.

Hennie

Recent Posts