Problems in sump and algea

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Raven, 9 May 2008.

1. Raven

Raven

Hi guys,
    While i was away on holiday someone looked after my tank.
    Usually one only need to add about a half liter of fresh water per day in the tank.
    My sump is outside, and the cover was blown off by strong winds - causing the water to evaporate extremely fast. My cheato and caulepra algea in the sump did not have enough water - luckely the rest of the sump is ok.
    Now the problem is, is that i've noted this red slime on top of the surviving algea.
    Should i remove this, or can i leave it as is?
    Also - i've lost a Cr@p load of cheato and caulepra...damn!!!:( But i hope that it will grow back at a rapid speed...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Raven

Raven Thread Starter

4. mandarinman

mandarinman

remove it if possible, check all your water perameters, and adjust where necessary. the strontium is based on personal experience but you are welcome to try it. the idea is that the strontium aparently removes the potassium from your water column and this causes the red algae to die down.

Recent Posts