problem with salt mix

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by gaboon, 19 Jan 2010.

1. gaboon

gaboon

I mixed 100L salt water on Saturday and has been circulating since, when I got home last night to do the water change there was a white flaky film on top, the walls of the container and on the pump. What is this and is the water usable?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Anyone? Don't want to dump 100L.

4. inflames

inflames

Have you used the container that you mixed in in before? Not some stuff that has leached out of the container? Are you running an air stone in the water when circulating? Any airosoles been used around the container, could be a reaction with something in the air...

5. Raven

Raven

What salt are you using?

I've noticed this before with my real ocean salt...
    I've used it - and didn't see any ill affects, but maybe I was just lucky:whistling:

I'm not sure what is the cause of this.

6. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Use the container all the time, no airstone. def no airosols. water was fine on saturday and sunday, I put a lid partially on top on Monday morning to stop my cat from falling in. When I got home after work I noticed it. salinity was normal, temp normal. I dont know, weird.

Deltec salt, also had the problem with aquamedic salt but that was straight away.

7. inflames

inflames

I am lost for words then!! Probably the salt...but as far as using it or not...difficult to say! I really dont think that using it would cause your tank to crash though. If it was me I would use it still.

8. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Thanks man, apparently its calcium carbonate or something, totally harmless:)

9. Jurgs

Jurgs

Deltec being the H2ocean salt. Happened to my first mix aswell. I dumped it hey. Not willing to take the chance.

10. TonyDD

TonyDD

Hiya
    This definately sounds like precipitation.

This is usually caused by adding the salt to the water a little too fast. As the salt sinks and gathers in a heap at the bottom of the container the calcium can precipitate due to local super saturation of calcium at the heap of salt.

Add the salt slowly,use a strong pump and mix cold. Before mixing up any more water in the container give it a really good clean, also give the pump a good clean. If you leave the precipitate on the container surfaces and pump the fresh calcium carbonate surface could well attract more calcium to build when you mix again.

The precipitate is totally harmless and although this will remove a small amount of Calcium and alk from the mix its usually a very small amount.

Precipitation can occur with any salt mix although those with calcium levels lower than those found in natural sea water arent so sensitive to this for obvious reasons.

I have always mixed salt slowly to cold water and have never had precipitation of H20+, equally i have used this method with other salts before i started to use H2O with the same results, even those salts that are known to be difficult to mix.

Only when the salt is mixed do i increase the water temperature, its also easier to correct final salinity if you add salt slowly too, if it clumps at the bottom of the container it can take an age to all dissolve and the salinity to settle.

Hope this helps

Regards Tony

Recent Posts