Problem with ich

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by mookz, 7 May 2009.

1. mookz

mookz

Hi all,

I bought a Dog Faced puffer about 2 months ago, he had Cryptocaryon irritans "marine ich or white spot".
    I have tried Almost everything to get rid of it, Hyposalinity, MYXAZIN all different variants of Malachite green(tetra contraspot, even the stuff for ponds) freshwater baths(really stressful) and i add garlic to his food.
    I read that there is a strain of marine ich that is "immune" to the above treatmnets...

He has picked up a lot of weight as i feed him more than usual to keep up his immune system.

I am at my wits end. :(

All my readings are spot on...(pardon the pun)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Mookz! Really sorry to hear about this..... I heard last that you were going to contact the 2 Oceans for him?

Well - as long as the puffer does not look like it is suffering at all (scratching itself, lack of feeding, lustlessness, hiding, etc) - then I would not worry so much about it,......

It is MOST likely because of the tank size, as you yourself said....

My best long term suggestions would be:
    - upgrade your tank to a bigger tank
    - donate/sell the puffer to someone with a big enough tank

4. Furbz

Furbz

have you tried a UV sterilizer?

5. mookz

mookz Thread Starter

Yup, definitely donating to 2 Oceans if they will have him, just wanted to get him all better first.The Strange thing is that he is as healthy as a Horse and eats like one. He's coloring and temperament is great.
    The only time he ever shows any "stress" is when i ignore him.:)

"- upgrade your tank to a bigger tank" i wish... already have a huge brackish water tank that takes up most of the lounge. I actually saw a great marine tank, sump and all at a cash crusaders in sea point.........mmmmmhhh...my wife will kill me ;)

6. mookz

mookz Thread Starter

Nope i haven't..i read up on it and it usually only work on the "ich" in its "free swimming" stage.

But yes that was on my next list to buy.

7. THE ANIMAL

THE ANIMAL

HI Mookz.
    Whitespot is a External Parasite and the most commen diseases of marine fish. White dots of various sizes,rapid, clamped fins and scraping on aquarium objects. Under favorable conditions the causative agents multiply very quicly and rapidly infecting the entire population all though you cant see them.

In severe cases, the fishes may be so infested that they appear as if covered by velvet. Oodinium(whitespot) attacks the skin and most important the gills of the fish and destroying it. It leads to respiratory problems and end in death. There it adheres and feeds on the tissue of the host. After a few days it forms a cyst and sinks to the bottom. The cyct undergoes 8 cellular divisions. After approximately 3 days, 256 tomites called dinospores emerge.

These free swimming flagellates search for a new host grasp hold of. In an aquariums confines it is an easy feat. The tomites are the only phase in the life cycle of Oodinium which can be controlled with medication. UV's or diatom filters can and will only decrease the number of tomites and reduce the chances of new infections. But as soon as you add new fish it will start all over agen because the new fish stress. The tomites are only viable for two to three days if they do not find a new host within that time they die. The complete life cycle of the Oodinium takes 7 to 10 days

TREATMENT
    I had the same problem and dit all (myxazin, myxazin in there food, garlic the fresh water dip and proto marin coral nothing worked). Take it from me I lost all my fish in a few day no in 24 h one day fine the next gone.There are onlyn one way to entirely clean or cure your tank. Take out all your fish and put them in a Quarantine tank then treat them with cuprazin as direkted, AND I MEEN ALL FISH that was in the tank. DO NOT tread your invertebrates with cuprazin. Then leave your tank be for at least 4 to 5 weeks you can put back your corals and invertebrates because they are not susceptible to whitespots. In the 4 to 5 weeks you still have to do water change weekly. You also have to sterilize all your equipment that was used in the tank this is very important. It is very infectious. If you do this your tank will be cured. From there new fish must be quarantine before you add them to your tank.
    Hope this will help you and good luck.
    If you are not clear on anything pleace feel free to ask more.

Last edited: 8 May 2009
  8. mookz

mookz Thread Starter

You are a GENIUS!!!!!!
    2 treatments and all but three little spots left!!!!!
    i just want to add that he is in full marine again, i treated him with the cuprazin over 2 days and there you have it!!
    Thank you sooooooo much!!
    He is now even more of a menace, ate all my snails and sea stars ..nom..nom..nom.

9. THE ANIMAL

THE ANIMAL

HI MOOKZ.
    Im happy to hear that the fish are better now! Just remember the treatments should not be shorter than atleast 7 to 10 days. The spots may apear to be gone dut the parasite are still in the gills. When given the right conditions and onlly one fish to stress then your problem will be back. Dit you take out all your fish to be treated?

I know this is not what you want to hear but it is the only way to kill the parasite you must take out all you fish if they got spots or not, tread them for 7 days. And then leave you fish out of your Display tank for atleast 6 weeks. This is very important :67:

please do this it will save you lots of money and heartake in the long run.
    :y1:

10. mookz

mookz Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, i am not too stressed about the display tank as all i have is a baby moray and the puffer, the other fish/crabs are food.
    I am doing water changes every second day and cleaning the substrate relentlessly.
    I have already messed up by having medicated the display tank in the first place BIG mistake, but this is how we learn.Once puffer has found a new home i will then start over with the cycling etc...time is not an issue and i do not mind starting from scratch.Now if only i can stop the mollies from breeding!! i have like 60+ baby's from a single female O.O .... I have only ever had mollies give birth to like 10 - 30 max.
    Who would have thought marine bred mollies.:lol:

11. THE ANIMAL

THE ANIMAL

OK happy to help!!!
    One last thing if you have medicated your display with cuprazin I whould have first finished the 7 day course. That whould take care of the parasite. Then if you hade LR in your tank that is not good all the cupper is now in your LR

After the course is finished you'll have to take out the LR and clean it by cooking it. Then protein skimmer must run full blaast and also run charcoal in your tank. Houp all came right!!!!
    IF you want to know more your, more than welkom to PM me.

Recent Posts