Problem Pump

Shaun

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed my Kenya Tree was not looking good, but dismissed it as it sometimes salk's and it was only the one that was uphappy. As I was going to do a water change today I did not investigate further. Today all my corals and the clam were not happy.
Fish270.jpg

Fish268.jpg

Fish273.jpg

Fish275.jpg

Fish285.jpg

So I did some investigations, when I put my hand in the sump I got a nice little tingle and then knew it must be a pump or a heater. I found the culprit.

PumpFaulty.jpg

My pump for my carbon had cracked its seal.

Done the water change and replaced the pump now only time will tell. Busy making more RO water so I can do another 100l water change tomorrow.

SO the morel of the story do regular pump maintenance.

Reaction score
Wow, so is that pump 220VAC ?

Is your tanked earthed ?

Reason i ask is I have had 220VAC running through my tank, for an entire weekend, till I got zapped when feeding on my return. But none of my inmates looked upset like this, only noticed anything when I earthed the tank and the fish started darting around wildly.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
It's more likely rust had upset the corals, i've seen it before, rather than electrickery, the tank is isolated/earthed so nothing inside the tank would have been shocked, you on the otherhand were earthed and therefore game for a jolt.

Reaction score
yeah. if the tank was at a high potential there would not be a problem until you complete the circuit so earthin a tank isn't the best idea imho. glad you figured it out though shaun, that would have been lethal to your corals soon

Reaction score
So, how are the corals doing? Reason I'm asking, is that if the crack allowed water to get into the pump's electrical windings, the chances are good that you could actually have a copper problem (from the copper wire electrical windings), and not a "rust" problem. Have you checked for copper (low level test...) ?

Hennie

George

Sponsor
Reaction score
It's more likely rust had upset the corals, i've seen it before, rather than electrickery, the tank is isolated/earthed so nothing inside the tank would have been shocked, you on the otherhand were earthed and therefore game for a jolt.
Sorry guys but the rust (oxidised iron would have very little effecton everything) the possibility is that most pumps have copper wire entwined around them and that started to dissolve. That is a more seroius problem, so Thalion do investigate further as to the culprit, and take appropiate action.

George
Tunze SA