Prices for starting up a new tank?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by WadeSmith, 26 Sep 2016.

1. WadeSmith

WadeSmith

Good Morning Everyone

I want to start a marine aquarium and just want to find out about the costs involved.
    Can you guys please post the average cost of salt that you get and what quantity, like a 10kg, 20kg etc.
    I would also like to know the price and quantity of RO water.

The tank that i want to buy is a marine tank and will come with a protein skimmer and all the other goodies i need. It is a 120L tank.

I would like to have coral and fish in the tank.

Is there any chemicals/supplements that anyone can recommend to me?

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. byronsn

byronsn

Hi Wade, are you talking about the amw102? if so the total water volume once you take rock and substrate into account is actually about 100L or so. Will depend on the amount of substrate and rock that you use of course.
    Heres my tank http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/threads/hi-guys.66052/

WRT salt, I bought a 10kg bucket when i started my tank in May, still have quite a bit left. I mix at 700g / 20L. I do a 5L water change a week. You will also need to account for your first fill, as well as your first water change as your tank is completing its first cycle, both are large volumes compared to your water change.

WRT RO water, I get mine for R1-50/L and am actually thinking of getting my own ro/di machine, will make things so much simpler. My first fill I used about 100L, and generally buy about 75L at a time now, to keep me going for top-ups and water changes.

WRT chemicals/supplements, the only things extra i added to my tank are matrix stones, and orca bio cubes. Helps with the cycle as well as nitrate export. I'm also dosing a little clarity with my water changes, just to keep the water more polished, dont really need it, but guess I just like to be sure.

For pricing, check out our sponsors websites, http://www.marine-aquarium.co.za/ and http://www.jungleaquatics.net/. feel free to ask any other questions you have.

CameL and viper357 like this.
  4. WadeSmith

WadeSmith Thread Starter

Thanks for that info @byronsn. Yup i am talking about the amw102.
    Generally how long can you keep RO water before it goes bad?
    Oh and i saw your thread about your tank and it looks awesome.

5. byronsn

byronsn

I don't think ro water can actually go bad, but if I'm wrong somebody please correct me. Just keep it out of sunlight and well sealed. 75l generally runs me two to three months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. WadeSmith

WadeSmith Thread Starter

@byronsn well if you say you keep the water for two to three months and its still good then thats cool. I would just like to find out from you seeing that i am getting the same tank(amw102) that you have, how many kg substrate did you get for the tank? Would be nice to know so i know how much to get. I also want to find out if you have a wave maker in your tank? And also where is your heater cuz i cant really see the heater in the pics of the thread you linked.

7. byronsn

byronsn

Wade, I got 10kg of substrate, used about 90% of it in the tank. The heater I have in the middle compartment of the sump, what is supposed to be the fuge. Do have a wavemaker, jebao wp-10. Sits just under the return, running on else mode, pointed slightly to the surface.

8. WadeSmith

WadeSmith Thread Starter

Cool thanks a lot for the info, i see now that on the thread you made you do state that you used 10kg substrate, must of missed that the first time haha. I am also thinking of putting the heater in that compartment as well, will see how everything is once i get the tank. Regarding the temp, i see you have struggled with that. What is your heater set at? Was your fish and coral still fine with a temp of about 28? Have you started using the double fan yet and does it help with the temp?

Regarding the cycle process, how long did you cycle the tank before adding livestock and when did you do your first water change?

9. byronsn

byronsn

Still having a temp issue, as I haven't received the controller and fans yet, should be here any day now, will let you know when I get it what the results are. The fish and corals seem to be handling it fine. Both the corals open up fully during the day and the fish are quite active.

With cycling, because I used artificial rock, took about a month and a half to complete. Was definitely frustrating, but don't rush it.

Another thing you need to have, is some test kits. Definitely a must have especially on a new tank. Once it's settled after a few months you don't need to test as often.

10. WadeSmith

WadeSmith Thread Starter

Cool thanks, will definitely want to know the results. Im glad your coral and fish are fine then, because i think i am also going to be sitting with a temp issue once i start my tank. But if the results of the controller and fans that you getting are good then i might do the same. Yeah i am going to be putting dry rock in my tank so will probably also take a month or so. Yup also planning on getting test kits, the most important once are for pH, nitrite, nitrate and ammonia hey? or should i get other test kits as well?
    Oh and also the first water change you did on your tank, when was that? Once the cycle completed?

11. byronsn

byronsn

Those test kits will suffice for now. If you get algae issues, you will also need to check phosphate. With lps corals, you will need to check alkalinity and calcium. Also necessary if you want corraline algae, as they use up calcium as well.

Water changes I started after my cycle completed, 2 20l changes a day apart. Only had one mixing bucket or I would have done it together.

12. desiree

desiree

Had the same problem as you with temperature on previous 100 l tank with lid. My temperature went up to 29. Removed part of the lid added fans but the fans made the water evaporate quickly then affected the salinity. Now I have a rimless 200 l and water temp are constant heater still comes on but it never goes higher than 26.

13. desiree

desiree

It is difficult in small closed tanks to keep temperature constant.

14. byronsn

byronsn

I anticipated that with the fans and am prepared to top up often. Am fully aware that a bigger tank will be more stable.

Definitely want a bigger tank, but planning takes time as well as the cost factor.

15. desiree

desiree

Did not mean for it to sound bad. Agree with you about the cost. I also started with a 100 l didn't want to start big and then spend all the money to realise I didn't like it or maybe was to much work. What I am saying is before you buy consider everything as that is a problem with small closed tanks. When I started I didn't even know about all the advise you could get here if I knew I would have saved a lot of money. Remember the lights are under the cover and add heat.

16. byronsn

byronsn

I anticipated that with the fans and am prepared to top up often. Am fully aware that a bigger tank will be more stable.

Definitely want a bigger tank, but planning takes time as well as the cost factor.

17. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

Don't know the amw102 but I'm sure like the RSM130 there lots of mods that can be done. Fans controlled by stc1000, changing lights to LED, or keep the lighting just move the ballast to be external. You can even DIY an ATO

18. byronsn

byronsn

Considering the ballasts, probably this weekend. Any idea how to diy a manual ato, without a pump, like a siphon system?

19. WadeSmith

WadeSmith Thread Starter

Quick question, im still new to the marine hobby so what does ATO mean and what is it?

20. byronsn

byronsn

Ato is auto top up. It's a way to automate your ro top off of your tank.

21. WadeSmith

WadeSmith Thread Starter

Ah ok cool thanks i know what an auto top up is, the cheapest and most basic one i have seen is around R800. But for a DIY ATO you will probably find good videos on youtube on how to do that.

Recent Posts