Predatory gastropod

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by 459b, 21 Aug 2010.

1. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Alot of my snails (localy collected) have been going missing. I know my hermits enjoy eating them and have also seen my maroon clown and pair of damsels have the odd bite of them when they wander too close to their territory. This afternoon i noticed this:

[​IMG]

The spiral shelled snail appeared out of nowhere and proceeded to carry the black one up the glass and eat it!!! It held it for a while by the shell, then started manouvering it to get at the soft parts.

[​IMG]

The black snail was producing copious amounts of slime which soon attracted two more of the spiral shelled snails.
    At this point i put an end to things and removed the three offending snails. The balck snail had a visible "bite" mark on its foot, but seemed to scurry off happily once put back in the tank.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Where did you get the spiral shelled snails?

4. 459b

459b Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

The spiral ones were hitchhikers.

5. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

IU once made the mistake by collecting a big brown snail at blouberg & it chowed half a zoa rock in like 10 min or so. Never again will I tave any snail from our coast. I hope your snail is ok?

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

The attacher looks like part of the muricidae family, all predators. Very big and diverse family. Some LFS sell muricidae snails as "reef safe". Yes sure, they will not eat your corals, but watch out all snails, especially bi-valves.

The "prey" looks like a nerita. Small snail with flat cap like shell. Nice snails to have. All vegetarian. And do not grow big into rock tumblers.

7. 459b

some of the west coast snails are rather nasty. The black one in the pic is from the west coast. They excellent algae eaters and never touch my corals. Only problem i have with them is they enjoy climbing out the tank! I think the one in the pic survived..i never saw anyhting else eat it.

I have had the attacker for a while. Seen it sitting on the glass a few times. All three attackers have now been "removed".

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

9. 459b

Recent Posts