Practical growing of phytoplankton

Discussion in 'Breeding fish' started by LuckyFish, 15 Jan 2010.

1. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Phytoplankton or algae culture.

We need algae cultures for our fry. The fry won´t see the rotifer in the raising tank easily without algae. The fry can estimate the strike distance of the prey (rotifer) better in phytoplankton.
    Phytoplankton takes nutrients and waste products out of the raising tank.
    It produces oxygen, which becomes lacking, if no phytoplankton is added.
    Many larvae and many rotifer are swimming in a not circulated system. Every larvae and every rotifer is using the oxygen and produces carbon dioxide.
    Phytoplankton provides a constant food source for the larvae´s prey. So we keep the nutrition value of the rotifer steady.
    The most used algae is nannochloropsis (nanno).
    Why?
    Easy to grow, easy (more or less) available.
    The nutrition value or better the fatty acid profile of nannochloropsis is really not ideal for fish larvae, but it works.
    A mix of Isochrysis and Tetraselmis would be perfect, but both are not that easy to grow.
    Many people are growing nanno in bottles. I don´t understand why. What can we do with that little amount of nanno?

I found this very practical. 20 litre, 60 bucks and it has got a tap.
    [​IMG]

I use skywhite (Osram) for light and mounted a mirror behind the tube. Photoperiod is 24/7. The fastest way to grow algae.
    [​IMG]

The biggest problem is contamination. That´s why this cannister is so useful.
    Two holes in the lid, one for the airline and one to release the air we put in via airpump.
    [​IMG]

I put a few times the same dirty towel over the cannisters to make the room more dark. Two of my three algae cultures got eaten up by rotifer in no time. That always happens if you need algae the most. A rotifer egg must have fallen out of the towel, through the small hole into the cannister. But even via the air, that we pump into the cannister, many unwanted things can get in there. Ciliates, is a tiny zooplankton and comes through the air to eat your algae culture. Rotifer eggs as well.
    That is the only way to go.
    [​IMG]

A 60ml syringe used as airfilter. The inlet and outlet is protected inside the syringe with a piece of foam. In between these two pieces of foam, I put activated charcoal. The cheapest charcoal I could find, because it has to keep the air dry. Nothing else.
    [​IMG]
    That airpumps are really good. Two outlets, each of them connect to a syringe air filter and each feeds one cannister with air.
    [​IMG]

I use them same cannisters for rotifer. I will write more about it in new thread.
    To feed 20 litre rotifer, you need 40 litre algae. Rotifer eats algae faster, than the algae can grow. I always use one algae culture until it´s finished. The rest algae, which you can´t get through the tap, I use as a start culture.

I have to write more about sterilization of sea water and the things I use at a later stage.
    Also about how to feed the algae culture, etc.:wave2:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Marcel we really appreciate you taking the time and effort to compile these threads.They are extremely informative and interesting.

4. Annoying

Annoying

Wow great great thanks allot...

5. LuckyFish

LuckyFish Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Thanks Keith, time is very limited and my mind is full with other things. So there might be here and there something lacking, missing or mistaken.

I try to do my best, to put as much as possible of information in these threads.
    All is based on my knowledge and experience.

6. lIghty

lIghty

Thx Luckyfish, I'll be watching this thread closely!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. dv8

dv8

i will most definately be atching this thread, i have been keeping phyto cultures for some time now, but am always open to new ideas. do you know where i could find Isochrysis and Tetraselmis.

any coments on SG and temparature?

8. LuckyFish

To get ISO and Tetra will be difficult. Maybe some research aquaria and at Rhodes, they should have.
    Salinity should be like the salinity of the raising tanks and temperature does n´t really matter. The higher the temperature, the bigger the risk to loose the culture.
    Important is to add some bicarb into the phyto water. KH around 15 will be good.
    Even then, if your photoperiod is 24/7, the PH will shoot up to 9 or higher.
    I always take the amount I need for the next day and let it run without light. In the morning, the PH is the same like my raising tanks. Otherwise you have to drop the PH before using the algae. PH of rotifer tank is usually below 8. Now you add PH 9.5 with your algae. That will kill plenty of rotifer.

9. Warr7207

Warr7207

Another interesting thread :)

Have to ask, are you setting up a commercially viable breeding facility or, is it just for fun ?

10. LuckyFish

Not fun, tough reality. I hope it will be fun, but right now, when I see what I have to spend first, it is scary. Selling fish on the paper makes you rich, but there is an unknown demand, diseases, Eskom and other bad things, that can happen.
    If I don´t do it, I will be sorry for ever. I have to go that route and see how it will work out at the end of the day.

11. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi Lucky. I am also wanting to culture phyto for my NPS system. I would like to feed quite a lot.

Where did you get the culture from?

12. LuckyFish

You see, I have to be very thankful for all the support I received so far. I am in contact with all the important people in this industry. Not only in SA, overseas as well.
    So I don´t want to advertise my source, because I know they won´t give other people algae cultures or rotifer. I can get actually everything I need, because of the relationship I built up in the last year with these people.

Every time I get asked for algae or rotifer. I promise, as soon as I got the new big hatchery, I will also sell rotifer and algae start cultures. I know how difficult it is, to get things like plankton mesh in different mesh sizes, rotifer enrichments, etc.

13. Quinton

Quinton Smarty-pants Newbie

Fantastic info Marcel! Thanks for taking the time and making the effort.
    Good luck with the venture (although we all know there's more skill than luck involved ;-) )

If you can't do it, nobody can.

14. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Guys Marcel has been good enough to pass on plenty of his secrets in an effort to help and enlighten us. He has certain things/trade secrets that are essential to his project. Lets learn from the excellent experiences he is passing on.

Asking him where he gets certain products is like asking ABI for the coke recipe. :nono: Please respect.

15. LuckyFish

Thanks for your support Keith, let them ask, I will answer. It is not really a secret, but if you get something for free, because of your good relationship, you won´t run around and tell the people, "Hey, you must go there, it´s for free."
    It is more about enjoying and appreciating this good relationship and to keep it that way. If somebody need something, feel free to ask.
    If I can help, I will do so.
    I have my secrets. I won´t tell anybody how I raise my clowns, because that is a secret and the few reefers, who know how I do it, understand why I keep it for me.

16. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Many thanks, once again, for this, Marcel.

As I said in your rotifer thread. I am extremely glad anf feel honored to have you on-board MASA. It does make things a LOT more worthwhile belonging to a forum where we have such awesome members who don't mind sharing such fantastic knowledge and experience...

17. LuckyFish

Thank you very much, Jacques.

Firstly, it was not in my rotifer thread. I still have to write that one. And a thread about brine shrimp, as requested from Keith (nemos janitor).

Secondly, I did not want to share anything for a very long time. You see, I spent so many hours doing research, I spent so much money and time. Why must I share, for what I worked so hard and must grow my own competition.
    Finally I realised, there will be no competition. So now I can share my experiences.
    There will be still a few secrets, but the main thing, I will share.
    I could write an article about how to raise clowns with more than 95 percent survival rate.
    That is a special technique, I invented. Maybe other breeder do it as well, but they also keep this as a secret, because you can´t find any records on the web.

It is amazing and surprising, how the people here treat me. I feel very comfortable on MASA, which I can´t say from my previous SA... forum.
    At the end of the day, for you guys it will be just a hobby, but for me, it has to be my income.
    Sometimes I still think, you guys over estimate me. Sure, I got a very broad knowledge about lots of things in this hobby, but I was very lucky to achieve, what I achieved so far and to meet the right people in this industry.
    My speech at IMACSA was also a nail biting experience. I met a lot of interesting people during the IMACSA and I am so glad, that I did, what I did. I don´t know if you guys can imagine, how important all your support is for me. I am a foreigner and try to fit in this Rainbow Nation. Although sometimes I think, here is more Rain than Nation.
    But history, culture, religion and race makes it so difficult to get a united nation.

18. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Yeah - you right. It really awesome, that something as insignificant as a hobby/passion like keeping marines, could unite so many different people from all over the "rainbow". Foreigners (from outside of South Africa) and people from within the South African borders - alike.......

I think that "families" are a word that can be used in different arenas...... being united in our passion for keeping salt-water critters alive (in our homes/places of work, etc), makes us a "unique family" of sorts.

Therefor the support and shared heartsore, when someone has "bad luck" - as well as the shared love for everything saltwater and alive - makes us all stand out in the crowd.

Keep up the great work LuckyFish. It is through your willingness to put your life on the line for this passion, to make it a fulltime income, as well as your willingness to share your experiences and knowledge with us, that makes these threads of yours so "special".

I am quite sure that I "speak" for the whole of MASA, when I say that we will always support you and your efforts in this adventure you are willing to partake.

19. dv8

dv8

hey luckyfish, if i may ask, what fertaliser do you use, i have tried a few just to see if i get better results, the best one i is the bonzai plant food. will have to have a look to see who makes it. if any one would like a starter culture just PM me and we can make a plan. you'll have to come to the PE area and come get it though

20. LuckyFish

Not a problem. I had a small amount of walne (right spelling?) solution. I can´t get it any more, so I have to buy all the different ingredients.
    I think for nannochloropsis, it is not a big deal, to use something else.
    I used the last few times the water from my grow out system. 60mg/l nitrat, I thought
    good shot. I really don´t see any difference in growth rate.
    I have to discuss this with a friend of mine. It might be, that the nanno is lacking in nutrition value, if walne solution was not used as fertilizer. Just a guess.

21. LuckyFish

Perfect food for phytoplankton, called Walne solution.

Stock Solutions (1) Trace metal solution (TMS) - per 100 ml
    ZnCl2 - 2.1 g
    CoCl2.6H2O - 2.0 g
    (NH4)6Mo7O24.4H2O - 0.9 g
    CuSO4.5H2O - 2.0 g

This solution is normally cloudy. Acidify with a few drops of conc. HCl to give a clear solution.
    (2) Vitamin solution per 100 ml
    Cyanocobalamin - 10.0 mg
    Thiamine - 10.0 mg
    Biotin - 200.0 µg (micrograms)

(3) Nutrient solution per litre
    FeCl3.6H2O - 1.3 g
    MnCl2.4H2O - 0.36 g
    H3BO3 - 33.6 g
    EDTA (disodium salt) - 45.0 g
    NaH2PO4.2H2O - 20.0 g
    NaNO3 - 100.0g
    TMS stock (1) - 1.0 ml

Medium per litre
    Vitamin solution (2) 0.1 ml

Nutrient solution(3) 1.0 ml
    Sterilised seawater 1.0 litre

Method
    Dispense nutrient and vitamin solutions separately into 10 ml and 1 ml aliquots respectively and autoclave at 15psi for 15 minutes. Add an aliquot of each aseptically to 10 litres of sterilised seawater

Source: Walne's Medium

I don´t think, I want to do this myself.
    The threads topic is: practical .......
    And that is far from practical, if you can´t just buy the ready mixed Walne solution.

Any nitrat, phosphat and iron in seawater will cause algae to grow.
    We ALL know that very well.
    I will see to find a product, which is easy available and easy to use!

Recent Posts