Powerheads and substrate

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Maddy, 4 Nov 2013.

1. Maddy

Maddy

Hi! Received my tank at last on Friday. Looks very good! Forgot my data cable at home, will post pics. Now I see every morning all the sand is blown away at the front of the tank by the powerheads during the night. Do I just pack rocks there on that specific spot?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Over time the sand will tend to stick together a bit more. But yes, current if too strong will blow it away.

Pictures will help, especially tank size and the ratings of the pumps plus location of the pumps.
    If you can adjust the pump directions, pointing them slightly upwards, mounting lower will create a lot more surface action and less disturbance of the sand. But it does depends on the pump rating.

4. Maddy

Maddy Thread Starter

Thanx will try that. Will have to take a look on the powerheads themselves tonight but what I do know is they are seio m1500. Will check for the lph. The tank is 1.2 x 60 x 60. Powerheads are positioned at the bottom tilting upwards till about a third down from the top of the glass. Will try and tilt them a bit higher? Will definitely take nice pics today.

5. Maddy

Maddy Thread Starter

Hi guys! Got all my specs on my powerheads. I would like to know whether these powerheads are too powerful for my tank? I have two. Seio M1500ghp - 5800lph, 34 watt. The friend I got them from had hard corals (that I understand need a strong flow), but are they okay for softies or too strong? My substrate is also parted at the front of the tank every morning (very irritating). I have a powerhead in each corner (placed low) facing upwards and they meet about 3 quarters down the front of the tank. I have a 1.2 x 60 x 60.

6. Maddy

Maddy Thread Starter

Sorry, 12 watts, not 34

7. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

They should ne fine for that size tank. Play around wit them to get the flow to not kick up the sand.
    Instead of having them pointing them at the same spot, try having one blowing parallel with the back glass.

8. Maddy

Maddy Thread Starter

Thanx will give it a try

Recent Posts