Powerhead powerful enough ?

Reaction score
Hi

Would a powerhead of 5watt, max delivery volume of 250L/H and a total head of 0.5m be fine to pump water from the sump back into the tank? The hight would be about 40-50cm, i think.

And how many of the same types would i need for a 100L tank?
Thanks

I do believe that pump will not get to 50cm height even though they say it does, and even if it does then it`ll be a drip or slow trickle. Use a 1000l/h pump at least.

Sabi, I must agree with Midablenny, a 1000 L p/h would be about minimum as a return pump

OK, thanks.

Can i use these in the tank?

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah that would be fine, a little gentle but should work

Last edited:
If that's all you have, or can get...???

If you haven't BOUGHT it yet.
DON'T use in tank.

If already have, then it can be used.
BUT, you'll end up with MORE pumps to achieve brisk, healthy Marine flow rates.
Ah, and more equipment visible, than needs-be, isn't pretty either.

I mean, why buy ADDITIONAL smaller pumps, if you can do a WAY BETTER JOB with fewer, HIGHER OUTPUT units ?

Reason: More flow required INSIDE tank ,than cycling between SUMP and TANK.

100L tank is efficient with maybe 2 different sources of flow ,from more than 2 directions, BESIDES the return pump.

Return cycle between tank and sump, requires S/LOWER RATE.

I'm assuming, it's for Basic Fish, LiveRock, inverts, coral?

Last edited:
Agreed with Obi-Wan If you havent got the already dont go buy them, but if you have them use them for now

I have 2 of these pumps. If use these 2 and get one other one thats more powerful, would that be enough? How much should this one pump p/h?

I mean, why buy ADDITIONAL smaller pumps, if you can do a WAY BETTER JOB with fewer, HIGHER OUTPUT units ?
I get what you mean here, makes perfect sense. Thanks.
My Father got me these 2 so i wanted see if it can be put to use.

I have 2 of these pumps. If use these 2 and get one other one thats more powerful, would that be enough? How much should this one pump p/h?

I get what you mean here, makes perfect sense. Thanks.
My Father got me these 2 so i wanted see if it can be put to use.

if you use 2 x 250 l/ph (Could you post pics, thats nice and small) and one 1000L p/hour you have 15X flow which would be fine for most things in a nano (to start)

if you use 2 x 250 l/ph (Could you post pics, thats nice and small) and one 1000L p/hour you have 15X flow which would be fine for most things in a nano (to start)
Would-
2 x 250L p/h would be the 2 in the tank and and the 1000L pumping from the sump?
Or-
2 x 250L in the tank + 1000L from the sump to the tank + another 1000L in the tank?
I'm going to get the pics.... now...

No I am talking in tank flow only, your return pump will have quite a bit of head loss so it will be must less than 1000 l/ph

No I am talking in tank flow only, your return pump will have quite a bit of head loss so it will be must less than 1000 l/ph
Ok, so i'm going to need 1 1000L p/h pump in the tank and another for the sump to the tank. Right?

Yip, i would point them so they blow off a glass pane to make the flow more turbulant.

Or as Alan suggests point the 2 at each other to create turbulance

Back
Top Bottom