Powerhead positioning

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by berry, 7 Dec 2014.

1. berry

berry

Hi guys and gals

I'm new to the marine world and want to find out what the powerheads actually do and were i must
    postion the powerheads in the tank
    I have a aquaria 120lt nano tank.

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reaper

Reaper

Hi bud.

The function of power heads / wave makers is to ad flow to the water and to lift detritus from your substrate so it doesn't rot on the tank bottom.

Wave makers is better for this, seeing as a power head will have too much force and probably blow away your substrate. Currently I have 2 Dophin 1000's wave makers, and a 2000 l/h power head in my dt, all positioned to cause the water to flow around my lr island in the centre of the dt. The power head is at the top of the tank, while the wave makers are positioned in the middle. Don't place them near the bottom if you have nennies, they will get chopped up and thus poison your whole system.

Hope this explains it for you :thumbup:

JayM likes this.
  4. berry

berry Thread Starter

Hey Reaper

Can you please send me a pic of your tank so i can get visual on the postioning?

5. Reaper

Reaper

Will send now. Just remember my tank is a bit milky seeing as I did a lot of maintenance yesterday, basically redid my whole tank. Specifically did it to get better flow around my lr

6. Reaper

Reaper

[​IMG]

As you can see, the big powerhead is top left directed to the overflow. Then the one wave maker is on the right, in the middle, pointed down and forward. And the last wave maker is below the power head, pointed also downwards to the substrate behind the lr

7. CameL

CameL

You want to achieve as random a flow/current as you can, as corals respond better than with laminar flow,
    Also, the amount of flow you need will depend on what type of corals you have.
    Flow is also required as Reaper said to keep detritus in suspension in the water column until it can go through the overflow allowing it to be removed from the water column.
    A great way to achieve a random flow is to point the wavemaker/powerhead facing each other, or pointing towards the side glass.
    Those with BB tanks can use the bottom to deflect flow.

Reaper likes this.
  8. Fenton

Fenton

Also note you need a lot of surface agitation at the top.

9. Reaper

Reaper

Yup, true also @Fenton. With my return intake and the power head both relatively close to the top, I have really nice agitation.

Also, my pumps is all positioned to agitate the substrate. It's not easily noticeable, but the aragonite keeps moving around as the pumps pushes it just slightly. Want to get a sand sifting goby still to help with that.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. King_Triton

King_Triton

Hi bud,

With the wave pumps, I have noticed that they work better when pointed upwards. They suck water through the side vents and push that out. So having them facing the surface normally pulls the muck away from the substrate and pushes up towards the water surface where it can get sucked up into the overflow.

Leave them positioned at that level but face them up. Just watch for movement of your nennie so it does not become soup.

PS: Apart from the need to raise detritus from the substrate the purpose of flow is also to take nutrients to your corals and remove organic waste they produce.. as well as supply more movement to assist photosynthesis.

Last edited: 10 Dec 2014
    Reaper likes this.
Recent Posts