Power increase...What ideas do you have to make your tank run cheaper?

Discussion in 'Power cuts' started by lanzo, 13 Oct 2009.

1. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Hi guys

Everybody knows by now that Eskom is going to increasing the tariffs AGAIN!!:(

So i was think...what are you going to do to make your tank low on power consumption or what are you going to do to boycott eskom

I know frans is going to experiment with some solar panels and batteries

Looks like guys running big closed loop pumps like myself will have to change to internal flow pumps again...like tunze,vortech or polaria(lower power consumption)?

What is your take on this?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

i was also looking in to this as im still planning my tank. and internal flow pumps seem better that cls in terms of power. wonder what ideas people have got out there.

4. flipwhip

flipwhip

Im thinking of building a wind turbine.
    We have all this wind here in Cape Town, why not use it..

5. lanzo

lanzo Thread Starter Sponsor

thats a great idea...but cost wise...how much willl it cost to set up a wind turbine to run your tank..or some stuff?

6. Sentari

Sentari

Alot of people are looking into sky lights as a natural source of lighting. If you think about it lighting is the biggest factor when it comes to power consumption.

7. Tim S

Tim S

Hmmm, I don't think there is much one can do about Eskom, so maybe a new bottle of Vaseline...

8. flipwhip

flipwhip

Hey Lazno

Not to sure what the costs are going to be still doing some research, i think the biggest expense will be the batteries.

I'm going to try and see if i can put something together like this guy has done here.
    How I built an electricity producing wind turbine

9. Sentari

Sentari

Lanzo you have one hell of an advantage staying on that hill of yours!

You can power most of Pretoria if you turn it into a wind turbine thingy :)

10. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

well given that elec now costs R0.60 per 1000watts
    1000w tank running for 10 hours a day, 31 days month will cost R186, now with the increase its gone to R284.58, still the cheapest part of the hobby :)

11. lanzo

Thats only my lights on my tank:(....damn....cant wait for winter when all the heaters kick in.

12. lanzo

:biggrin: damn thats a good idea...but how to get them up here is the problem:p

13. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

my cars loves your driveway :)

14. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Get lower power pumps, Dallas can you please explain how one works out the electricity cost?

15. flipwhip

flipwhip

This is just merely a suggestion, but has anyone ever thought about using hydroelectricity. If I can remember correctly form school days hydroelectricity is the production of power through the use of gravity or flow to spin water turbines and generator. So what I was thinking is cant we use our overflows to drive a “turbine”
    and generate electricity this way.

Just a thought.

16. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Okey, what I am planning, is to one night, when all is asleep, climb over the fence onto my neighbours garage (which sits flush with my fence) and then take an electrical cord and just tie in with his supply line from him house to the garage. Then I will just extend it under the ground to my house. Will then run my tank from there, so I will not feel the power hike. ;)

No, on a serious note though. As Dallas said, 1000W power costs us R285 per month, which is still cheaper than most of our water changes... I think we must not just look into this as an Eskom vs. the marine hobby issue. I think we msut rather start considering saving money on other areas. I have mentioend this before, but what about taking out all bulbs (around the house I mean) and replacing them with Energy savers. How about rather hanging clothes than tumble drying? Even rather cooking on gas than use the oven.

A simple thing like, I fill the kettle to the top when I make one cup of coffee, I MEAN WHAT A WASTE!!!

I am even starting a nice vegetable patch this weekend to save on the cost of food etc.

I mean, do you see guys driving Ferrari's worrying about the petrol price going up? They just look at other ways to finance it. Shouldn't we just be doing the same?

17. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

nice question lanzo.

me + my dad have been doing intensive research on this for a while now(what i do when not on masa) so ill give you sortoff an outline of what we have figured so far.

list of things you need

1. battries
    2. solar panels
    3. wind turbine
    4. switches
    5. inverter

1. BATTRIES

Battries are very sofisticated because you dont want too replace them too often and the must have an high output.

deepcycle battires dont work they need to be replaced too often and at cheapest R1200 a good battry it gets pricey.

so u look into other battries for instance the gell battry that is used in cellphone towers for backup. these gell battries go for about R4000 one and lasts twice as long as a normal deepcycle battry and gives twice the amount of output.(around 220 amps/h)

the there is this battry that was invented the other day New battery could change world, one house at a time [​IMG]
    This battry could power a home for a day and is recharable(definitely something to look into when released)

2. Solar panels

are fairly expensive and averages about R35 a watt and the cheapest we could find is R27 a watt. to power a basic three bedroom house you would need 4 x 195watt solar panels.

3. wind turbines

i think anyone that knows a wind turbine knows its very noisy and above that very expensive, luckily there has been more silent wind turbines desighned
    that run on a vertical axis
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Switches

We are still looking into electronic switches, this switch should measure battry power switch between eskom and battry and basicly controll every aspect of it.

5. INVERTER

im sure everyone knows inverters and knows they are pricey especially when going sine, busy working on prices for this.

sorry for the lenghty post just thaught id share.

18. Sentari

Sentari

Lanzo i was thinking about this last night with input from a few guys. Why not build a top heavy pump system like Sean's old tank system if thats the case. You have enough height around your tank and the flow back into your tank will be amazing and also getting rid of the use of 101 pumps.

I'm sure you understand what i'm talking about. I'll try find the link for you also.

19. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

im also looking at building wind turbine or solar,solar cells just expensive and not really available..

20. Sentari

Sentari

21. lanzo

Save on insurance then....:whistling:......:biggrin:

Recent Posts