power-heads

Reaction score
Hi All

I have 2 of those sunsun 101 power-heads i have attached to the back of the tank facing in one point one i higher than the other

1 my fish don't seam to like the the strong current
2 are they meant to be on timer and only come on @ specified times
3 when they are on the stir up a lot of derbies

They are not designed for on and off operation, but rather continuous flow. Although they are so cheap, would not mind replacing them if they given in.
What is the size of your tank? No fish likes being blasted by flow, except maybe whitewater feeders.
Them stirring up debris is a good thing, part of what they are supposed to do. Stirring up debris keeps it in the water column for removal by mechanical filtration.

@shaunnorth ..this has nothing to do with you'r current problem..I'm not sure which pump would accommidate you'r Tank size..:blush:... I noticed you said they are on a Timer and that made me think...I have a Blenny and when I switch off my Pump, for waterchange etc...I always have to double check where he is as he's forever eyeing out the pump as a spot to "park"..I'm forever swotting him away from it when it's off...of cause if you don't have a Blenny, then you have nothing to worry about...:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Leave the power heads on. 3000L pumps are are pretty weak. They should be running all the time. Sun suns hate being turned off and on, they generally just jam then you have to turn the propeller. You could just turn off 1 flow pump

the powerheads are not on any timers my question is that when both are running a lot of debries are are moved around. And when the just the one powerhead is running it seams it is just not ennough flow , then the fish start to move around but with 2 running they are hiddden away in the rocks its like they really dont like the high flow, i have one blue tang 2 chromis 2 clowns a goby and a blue damsile

Two sun sun's should not affect much. If your think the flow is to strong, try aiming the powerheads up at water surface or bounce the flow off one of the sides. This might help a little. The fish might take a while to accimatise to the stronger flow thats all.

Back
Top Bottom