Power Head or Wavemaker?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by nadan, 3 Nov 2009.

1. nadan

nadan

Hi

I was just wondering if u starting out in this :thumbup: hobby, is it cool to get power heads (1 or 2) instead of a wavemaker initially for a 50 gallon tank for circulation? Reason being power heads cost a lot less than wavemakers unless I'm mistaken.

Also what role does a power head/wavemaker play in the aquarium besides circulation?

Ta for the replies

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

They're pretty much the same thing. A wavemaker is generally a powerhead attached to a timer which allows for the speeding up and slowing down of water being pumped. You do get small pumps which can be attached to the sides of the tanks but the flow is constant and very concentrated, not a broad flow which moves a lot of water in a wider area.

the roles besides water movement are oxygenation of the water by agitating the water's surface, the suspension of detritus, the movement of water which takes CO2 and food to corals

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

50 gallon, that is 190L.

3 or maybe 4 SunSun pumps 3000L/h will do. Put two at each side and point them to another across the tank. It will create enough random flow in the middle. You can go 5000L/h but I reckon it will just cause sandstorms.

Just beware, the shafts are crap and break easily. I never open mine up and I use a toothbrush to clean it.

5. nadan

nadan Thread Starter

ta 4 the advise, any idea how much on of those would go for?

6. amalick

amalick

I would also add that I have not had success putting these sunsun units on intermitent timers. THey either break apart or go into reverse. Ive removed all of mine in less than 9 months and gone with Seio since Tunze or Vortec are out of my price bracket.

7. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

3000 lph sunsun's should set u back R100 each. I suggest u get the magnet mount ones though. Will b a bit extra but worth it. Mine have been going for long now and had no problems except the suckers dont suck so well anymore. Best value for money by far.

8. Allen

Allen

Hi,

I also have a 50gal and found that the sunsuns are a bit hectic! Amazing pumps and very low cost, but unless Im doing the water current thing totally wrong (and I def don't know anything about water current and flow) they are a bit to much. I tried one 3000L/H and it just ripped my corals apart!:confused1: One thing that I liked about the sunsun though, was that it covered a huge area! Where a normal powerhead will only give you direct current and if to close to a coral will also rip it apart!

Ive got x4 seios now each pointing in a different direction and x1 small powerhead just to add some nice effect to my surface. The seios aren't nearly as powerful, but does a great job with dispersing water and they last a bit longer (Also cost a bit more, but def worth it).

Ive been looking into wave maker for the last 2 weeks now and can't seem to get a product that would work in a 50 gal tank. The surge devices are way to big and bulky and wouldn't look to great in my living room. And can't seem to find an electronic system that isn't an overkill, 99.9% of the one's I found only starts from 70 gal tanks???!

I would really appreciate if someone knows of a product that would work great in a 50 gal tank!!!!!:thumbup:

All the best!

9. S2

S2

I paid R120 for my sun sun powerheads 3000l/h that is the ones with the suction cups not the magnet. If you can, get the magnet makes the job of moving them around much easier. Only problem i have with mine is that wen i turn them off the shaft jams then i need to give it a push with a toothpick to get it going again other than that no problems.

Recent Posts