Reaction score
Hi guys i have a power failure wat can i do at this hour to prevent
loss of any of my livestock
i read some where that movin the water a bit on top of tank
will give a little oxygen
is that true
please help

Hi mandrin,

Yes, you can stir the water surface every hour or so for 5 minutes.

Or you can take a cup of water from DT and pour into sump, also at regular intervals.

If your tank temp drops too much, wrap it in towels, and fill small cold drink bottle with hot water from tap (hopefully geyser will still be warm enough?) and drop that in the tank as "warmwater bottle"

Good luck!

What @Gesiggie said.

There are some other threads on this topic in the same category, but I presume you're navigating on a phone, so it might be difficult. Break the surface tension regularly for gas exchange. I know some bathwater guys had a dripline set up from a bucket above the tank and let the water quickly drip into the tank, as fast as possible without getting a steady flow.

Just my 2C.

Cheers
Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
I also took this from @Tony 's signature:

Add 1 tablespoon of 30% hydrogen peroxide per 100 litres every 4 hours to your tank in a power failure to oxygenate your water

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys i am stressin so much
seems like i have to stay up all nite no problem thanks .......a million

Have not personally used the hydrogen peroxide yet,

But used the stirring / pouring method a couple of times recently and my tank survived... Longest outage was 7 hours, no lasting effects:)

And yes, as soon as I get back in Gauteng, I will be doing some shopping for battery-operated pumps:)

Chill man, unfortunately your tank is a bit small, so temp changes might happen quite quick. Set up the drip line and pack the tank snugly with a blanket and some towels, and put a warm water bottle into the tank. I'm sure your tank will be none the worse for wear when the power comes back on.

Just make sure that nothing will overflow/get sucked in/destroyed when the power comes back on.

Best of luck, I'm going to pack myself in now.

Cheers
Adam

As Adam said, wrap in blankets and in future get a battery powered air pump. Takes away all the stress during a power failure. But you should be fine.

hope your power is back on!

I had an outage last week - just airated the water for around 5 - 7min with a container...just keep the movement going - will resaturate the o2 levels in the tank...

I managed to get a battery operated pump - R150 at LFS - dont know if they are sponsers...

Now I have to get a ups type system...

goodluck

hi guys thanksba.million for all yr tips the power back up
and every thing seems normal sl far .. Well i am in Durban
i have to go and shop around to get a battery operated pump
....well i mus say the circulation tip about water worked fine
as i was wit no power for 20 hours
all u guys rock ......

Glad your tank (and you!) made it through :thumbup:

@Gesiggie lol we made it threw
that was the first time tjis happen to me
well hopefully i will get a battery operated pump