Urgent help needed power failure and panicking!

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Clownfish9906, 12 Apr 2012.

1. Clownfish9906

Clownfish9906

hi all

i have suffered a power failure from last night at 11pm.I do not have any batteries/invertors as yet - the tank is almost 2 weeks old but has livestock in it.

i have taken water out and dropped back into tank for 5 min this morning. I have 30 vol hyd peroxide but am afraid to use it...

I am in Vorna Valley, Midrand - can anyone assist?

thx

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. zak

zak

Don't panic just yet. Are you running a pellet reactor? Are the fish congregating on the surface? If your bio load is not too heavy, all should be fine..

4. Tony

Tony

Add the peroxide at 15ml per 100 litres. Add the peroxide and then swirl it around in the tank. DOnt add the peroxide near fish or corals. I've used it many times before with no problems.

Seeing as the tank has been off for 8 hours, add the peroxide slower so as not to shock the system. Add it at a teaspoon at a time and leave it for a few minutes, then add another teaspoon. My tank has survived 10 hour failures before.

5. rakabos

rakabos

Thats your advice, all should be fine??????

Stir the water with a spoon to assist with gas exchange. You can also manually move water with a bucket between the sump and display tank. Wait for 9am and go grab a battery airpump at Idol. I imagine your temps are dropping also. Not much you can do without backup power there im afraid

Last edited: 12 Apr 2012
  6. fly*

fly* MASA Contributor

Yeah my tanks gone down for 13 hours and it was fine. Take Rakabos's advice and get an battery powered airpump and if the temp starts dropping below 24, wrap the tank in a blanket. My nano used to drop down to 22 sometimes in winter so don't stress too much about that. The big thing is getting air into the water.

7. zak

zak

@rakabos, why are you in the habit of isolating a COMMENT and hammering it?? I distinctly said that if his bio load is not heavy.. I have survived an 8 hour outage with no issues.. You need to vent that anger somewhere else buddy..

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I have a small 58L Nano and had a power failure for waaaaaay over 12hours...I also had nothing....I stirred(whisked) with a wooden spoon my surface...every hour..for about 5min...all was fine...will admitt that I have a light bio-load...2 Clowns, 1 Blennie and 1 Shrimp...trust me...I NOW have a Battery Pump...:p...hope all works out...

9. Quintin

Quintin

I really wouldn't worry if all you have in the tank is 2 Clowns, 1 Blennie and 1 Shrimp.
    With a bio-load like that you ain't gonna have much oxygen used up over the 12 hour period.
    I really wouldn't bother with a battery pump and suggest you rather get yourself one of these....
    1500W UPS - Aliexpress.com
    Add a deep cycle battery and you are sorted to run your entire tank, heaters, lights, pumps for 12 hours plus...

Last edited: 12 Apr 2012
  10. rakabos

rakabos

Yep deep cycle battery + inverter going forward or a small generator, they cost like 1k at Game

11. Quintin

Quintin

Yip, I know game, Makro and builders all sell little 950W generators for between R600 and R1000 depending on what you want.
    Takes 2 liters of petrol and runs for something like 8 hours.
    Got myself one of those last year and worked well for what I needed it for.
    Just don't try and boil a kettle with it as that takes about 30 minutes....:whistling:

12. rakabos

rakabos

I picked up a 3200W for R1699 on special this last weekend at Game. Still need to do the kettle test lol

13. Quintin

Quintin

Ha,ha,ha
    You can boil a kettle with that no problem.
    They also have a 6,7Kva generator (Think the brand is Prownin or some local Chinese import) on special at Timber City going for R4500.00
    Enough to run most of your house with that less the geysers if you can wire that to your DB board.

14. zak

zak

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

so? why worry?
    just stir it properly once in 30 minutes. If you got a DSB, remember to stir that as well.

You do not have anything in there that would consume O2 at an alarming rate. At worst, you would get 2 or 3 days extra on your cycle. Doubt you would even notice it.

Over reacting in panic situations is more harmful than the situation itself.

16. Clownfish9906

Clownfish9906 Thread Starter

ok - I really must say thanks to you guys for the support!

The power came back on just after 6!!! Before this, I had been stirring up the water with a bucket for around 5-6 minutes...

I have only 4 fish, 4 blennies, 2 gobies, around 8 hermits, 3 snails...and some coral... The activity in the tank seemed normal, even the pulsing xenia was still pulsing...lol

Did not want to start the hydrogen peroxide route as I did not see anyone successfully use it...for oxygenation purposes that is.

OK, time to get an invertor, etc. with an auto switch over - generator will work, but only if I am home at the time...

Thanks once again guys....and Belinda!

17. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Guys, whats the point of having a massive wattage inverter if you are only going to run the minimum equipment. Its the size of the batteries that count, not the wattage of the inverter. Unless you run a nano there is no way that you will run your lights and heaters, so no need for the big wattage. That is just a sales pitch.
    @rakabos, you should get 30mins about on that system with a 2000W kettle.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
    AfricaOffroad likes this.
  18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

But yes, at least get a battery driven airpump for the future. They are not expensive. Just buy the batteries and keep the batteries with the pumps.

19. rakabos

rakabos

20. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

21. Quintin

Quintin

Recent Posts