POWER CUTS PLANNED - Southern Peninsula

Discussion in 'Power cuts' started by yuma girl, 23 Apr 2013.

1. yuma girl

yuma girl

Just found out they are going to do power cuts on the week end from 10 pm to 8 am ! i am now freaking out for my tanks....

what should i do???? that means everything will be off, heaters, pumps, power heads etc!!! :dft007::arghh:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zandy

Zandy

Go out an buy a battery operated air pump at least. That was you will be able to oxygenate the water and agetate the top of the water for gas exchange. That is the most important IMO. But do it now and be prepared. Try and keep the temp in the room where the tank is sitting stable (close windows ect) That way your tank will stay more stable.

4. yuma girl

yuma girl Thread Starter

Hi Zandy

thx for the input - called the LFS and Battery operated air pumps cost R 70 each and i am going to need about 8 - 10 for my tanks + batteries etc

so just found a generator for sale for 1500 so im hopefuly sorted! whewy

5. Zandy

Zandy

Well so i thought too, i had a ups and a generator. UPS failed (someone unplugged it from charge) Then i went to route 2 with the generator and quess what ?? I got it to start and run for like 10 minutes and then it stopped, took me another 4 hours to try and get it restarted , just like murfey..the moment i got it sorted the power came back on. I hope your luck is better than mine...if it was not for BAD luck i would have NO luck at all

6. yuma girl

yuma girl Thread Starter

hahah - shame man - i hope i get better luck :)
    picking up the generator tomorrow afternoon so going to give it a trial run before Saturday :p

7. Elrond

Elrond

yuma girl,

I have a UPS running on my uplift pump only, this ensures I get somekind of water movement in the event of a power-failure. Problem with generators is that you need to be home to fire them up, they need to be outside (unless you're very organised) so it's usually more effort unless you're looking at a much longer outage. The rolling outages normally last long enough for a decent UPS to be able to power a single powerhead or uplift pump for awhile.

Mid-winter is a bit more of an issue with the cold temperatures.

Good-luck!

-P

8. yuma girl

yuma girl Thread Starter

Hi Elrond

the thing is that i have 4 tanks , 2 x marine and 2 x tropical.. so we are going to need more than a UPS to supply all the tanks :(

the good thing is that my hubby works 5 minutes away from home. so if we have a power cut he will know as he is in the same zone, so he can dash home quick and sort out for me :thumbup:

9. JAJA

JAJA

@yuma girl, is this a general across the board outage for SS or only specific areas?

Normally they advise on the expected earliest and latest time periods but end up only switching off for an hour or two at the most.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. yuma girl

yuma girl Thread Starter

its for certain sections as they are doing work on Substation in Sun Valley. They are cutting poer for the 10 pm to 8 am and it will basically be from Sun Valley all the way to Scarbrough

Recent Posts