Power back up options 75L tank

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice on power back up options for my 75L Nano tank given load shedding. I would imagine a 4 hour outage would negatively impact on the tank and temperature?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Hi Dano, not sure about the 4 hour as I’m a Marine newbie myself. Only started adding livestock last week, after cycle .

I have a TL 450 (59 litre) and use a battery operated air pump . Switch it on for about 5-10 minutes every half an hour or so. Seems to be working out for me.

A UPS should be able to do the trick, I still need to get 1 myself. Our power was off for 2 hours today, my tank isn't heavily stocked though so wasn't much of a issue but at the same time I took the opportunity to do a top up which by filling water would add oxygen. You could scoop up your existing tank water and drop it back in from higher up as well to add oxygen. My only issue with todays load shedding... My anemone moved from its spot still far away from any other corals but need to watch it now

The good old Backup Power for my tank question.

There are a few options to look at, none of them cheap.

A UPS will do the trick for a return pump and wavemaker only, if the UPS is pure sinewave. AC Pumps tend to make a knocking noice if the UPS is modified sinewave.

An inverter generator will do the trick as well. Will run everything on the tank. And it’s silent. And pure sinewave. But downside, you need to be home to start the generator.

another option, an option I’m using myself.
I have a 5Kva Inverter with a 200AH Battery backup and 6x 365W Solar Panels on my roof. I run my complete 3ft tank. Heaters, lights, chiller, pumps. Everything. And some plugs inside my house and my lights

All comes down to how much you want to spend

I have an inverter as well, batteries just went, so we're going to get some replacement batteries today.
My hubby is building a second invertor. I like the Ellies brand, had that for about 5yrs and the batteries only just went out now, it's silent when not in use and automatically switches on when the power goes off.
Before my tank I used it to run essential lights and home security.
Well worth the investment in the long run. I paid around R8k for mine, and see that they're going for R15 500 now.

A UPS will do the trick for a return pump and wavemaker only, if the UPS is pure sinewave. AC Pumps tend to make a knocking noice if the UPS is modified sinewave.

An inverter generator will do the trick as well. Will run everything on the tank. And it’s silent. And pure sinewave. But downside, you need to be home to start the generator.

I have a 5Kva Inverter with a 200AH Battery backup and 6x 365W Solar Panels on my roof. I run my complete 3ft tank. Heaters, lights, chiller, pumps. Everything. And some plugs inside my house and my lights

Do you run your complete tank 24/7 on the solar setup you have or does it only kick in when the power goes out?

Do you run your complete tank 24/7 on the solar setup you have or does it only kick in when the power goes out?
Hey man. My complete house runs on the solar system during the day, and at night I use Eskom and the batteries as a backup

Hi Bud
What did the solar panel system cost you.
Installation I did myself. Quite easy if you did your electrical system in your house yourself, which O did.

the inverter was 12k. Batteries are expensive. Close to 16k for 4 batteries. Solar panels was about 12k including mounting kits. Wiring for everything else and some consumables another 5k. So close to 50k

I did everything in sections.

Back
Top Bottom