Powder grey tang

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Lowflyer, 2 Apr 2009.

1. Lowflyer

Lowflyer

Has anyone got a pic of one of these. I've been offered one of these for free the size of a R5 coin and i'm not home so can't google it. Please can someone post a pic on here so i can view it on my cell

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaak

Jaak

[​IMG]Goldrim Tang

[​IMG]

Latin Name Acanthurus nigricans Common Name Goldrim Tang Also known as Gold Rim Tang, Powder Gray Surgeonfish, Whitecheek Surgeonfish Fast Facts This species is brown overall, with a white patch under the eye and yellow along the anal and dorsal fins bases. The Gold Rim Tang is less frequently available than the similar Powder Brown Tang. Both can be shy when introduced to the aquarium and will require plenful hiding places to refuge in if threatened. This can be a finicky fish when it comes to adjusting to prepared foods, so a tank with a flourishing algae crop will ensure it gets enough to eat during the acclimation process. Like most surgeonfish, this species can be aggressive toward surgeonfish tankmates once it acclimates, especially members of its own kind (keep only one per tank). Provide this active fish with plenty of swimming room, as well one or two hiding places. Seldom available in sizes other than around 3"-4". Sizes Small/Around 2"-3", SIZE WILL DEFINITELY VARY-- SMALL IS REALLY UNCOMMON AND UNPREDICTABLE IN SIZE
    Medium/Around 2.5"-4"
    Large/Around 3"-5"
    X-Large/Around 4"-6" VERY RARE THIS LARGE
    Range in Nature Tropical-pan-Pacific Minimum Aquarium Size 75 Diet and Feeding Herbivore, provide with a varied diet that includes frozen and flake foods for herbivores as well as dried algae sheets. Ease of Care(5=easy, 1=difficult) [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Reef Aquarium Compatibility Great reef fish

4. scubaninja

scubaninja

hmm. never heard it being called powder grey. but if in fact it is the nigricans. say no. they are worse than powder blues and don't do very well. sorry man
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

no dude no such thing to my knowledge..the niagris is an awsome surgeon but like the japanese powder brown needs ample swimming room.. Scuba funny thing is i personally cant keep a powder blue but have had ample success with a powder brown.. sometimes things dont make sence ...

6. scubaninja

scubaninja

yeah i guess its just one of those things hey les. how stocked was the tank if you dont mind me straying a bit here? it was the four foot right?

7. crispin

crispin

hmmm beautiful fish though :)

8. leslie hempel

1.5.. even got a beautiful local caught powder blue from Morris in durbs and it died within 2 months.. have tried 3 and no more.. nt unlesss it comes out of an established tank and untill i have my 1.7 x .800 x .600 up and running for a while..

i actually sold the powder brown (niagris) due to it growing so fast, i got it big but it doubled in less than 4 months and it looked out of proportion.. i like small fish..

9. Quinton

Quinton Smarty-pants Newbie

Acanthurus Nigricans are a bad idea. Acanthurus Japonicus look very similar, and are fantistic reef fish (I have one and he's one of my favourites).

Great article on wet web media:
    A. nigricans &A.japonicus

Q

10. leslie hempel

11. Quinton

Quinton Smarty-pants Newbie

You're a day late dude ;-)

12. Lowflyer

Lowflyer Thread Starter

Hey guys, thanks for the heads up, but it looks nothing like the picture, it actually looks like a normal chocolate surgeon with yellow top and bottom fins, still in packet in the tank at the moment, will try get a pic

13. Lowflyer

Lowflyer Thread Starter

My jumping bean won't leave the side of the packet, will he kill my new fish?

14. Lowflyer

Lowflyer Thread Starter

Here it is, a bit stressed, but a pic nonetheless

[​IMG]

15. scubaninja

scubaninja

that is infact a lavender surgeon if i'm right. i have one:) a bit cheeky but lovely fish none the less. how big is your tank? they are local boys

16. scubaninja

scubaninja

i dont think so, the tang will take a little abuse since he's new but he'll sort that bean out now now;) does the fish have like freckles on its face?

17. Lowflyer

Lowflyer Thread Starter

Ok well hope it is one of those scuba, my tank is only a 3 foot, but his quite a small specimen and there's plenty of flow in the tank. But my jumping bean is nailing the crap out of this fish, like ripping fins, what do I do?

18. Lowflyer

Lowflyer Thread Starter

He's sitting in a dark corner at the moment under a powerhead, so can't see any freckles. But his fins are well ripped now

19. scubaninja

scubaninja

ah no man. Sorry. 3ft is a bit too small man, sorry for that aswell, tangs will not do well in your tank, but for now, sump the jumping bean or the tang. I always add fish to my sump before they go up to the DT. this way they acclimatise un-perturbed and when they are eating properly after a few days i move it over then its on its own. But i worry with how big your sump space for it is:(

20. Lowflyer

Lowflyer Thread Starter

Ya, i know my tank is small, i will see if I can pass it onto someone with a bigger tank at a later stage. I've already put the fish into the display, will see how he's doing tomorrow and then decide where to put him.

21. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Eish Luke! BEAUTIFUL FISH! Sorry that the Jumping bean is giving the tang trap! BUT - I personally think that it is because of hiding space and territoriality....... That's the reason why.............Move you rock around a wee bit - or add some more rock....
    Then the jumping bean will be FAR too busy, to worry over the tang....

GOOD LUCK!

Recent Posts