Urgent help needed Powder blue tang killing other fish

Reaction score
Hi guys, I need some urgent help.

My Powder Blue tang has killed two of my fish (fox face and bi-color angel). I want to take it out of tank asap before it kills any other fish. Any ideas what I can do? Can I take it out of the tank and place it in a container with some of the tank water (I do not have a quarantine tank, only have a 22l container I use to store RO water?

Other fish in the tank - Blue tang, lieutenant tang and green/blue chomis.
Tank size - 180l with live rock.

Thanks!

Put it in your sump while you find another home for it. They can be very aggressive, especially in small tanks. 180l is way too small for him and also too small for the lieutenant tang I am afraid. You say you have a blue tang. Is it a regal?

Hi NJH

I don't have a sump I can put him in. Have a juwel vision 180 tank. That's why I was thinking a container with some of the fish tank water (not sure if it will work).

Yes it is a regal tang. All the tangs are still quiet small, the guy from the petshop told me that the 3 tangs together would be fine.

The PBT wasn't aggressive but all changed over the weekend.

Unfortunately you got wrong advice. The regal also gets big. As do all the tangs in your tank. Small space adds fuel to aggressive behaviour. A small container will stress the fish and could cause it to die. Especially if there is no water movement or heat. There is also no filtration and amonia will spike.

Thanks for the help guys! Really appreciate it.

No idea what I am going to do with the PBT for now. I can only pray that it doesn't do more harm in the tank.

Put your lights off. And let's hope someone can help you out.
Have you not got any fellow reefers near you that could help.
I'm based in Alberton.

Will go and buy a biggish breeder container tomorrow morning (and go into work a bit later) and place it in there for a temporary solution. Really appreciate the advice and help.

No stress.
I'll chat to mate maybe he can help.
Get your self a 2ft tank and airstone.and a a normal filter system. Will help as QT setup in the future

Will go and buy a biggish breeder container tomorrow morning (and go into work a bit later) and place it in there for a temporary solution. Really appreciate the advice and help.
Bud, ive got a tank good to go that I'm willing to lend you. You can use it till you sorted. Pm me, I'll give you my number. My tank has everything you need to keep the fish alive and happy.
Its my QT, but I'm willing to take a chance and lend it to you since you have no way out. I'm not far from you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom