Powder blue ... lets hear Its

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Fred d, 28 Apr 2013.

1. Fred d

Fred d

Hi guys and girls .

I Would loved to hear from All of you who have had success in keeping powderblue tangs before . Let me in on your secrets And tricks . I know They are WS magnets but i really love this FISH .....

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Wiley

Wiley

Had 1 for 2weeks. Didn't make it. Also wnt to know. Love them.

4. Fred d

Fred d Thread Starter

@Visser , @irieivan @Lesleyhempel , All The older hands perhaps

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

As I said before, I believe that the Powder blue, (plus powder Brown and Achilles tangs) have very delicate skin. The nets we use is to ruff and damages the scales while netting them. That allows the WS to penetrate the fish easier.

Check on all the other Powder blue and whitespot threads. When do they get it? After being moved.

The way we handle these delicate fish needs to change. I prefer using a very small fish tank, those they use for spiders. And rather corner the fish into it, lift them out. Same for foxfaces. They open those spines and always get caught up in the net.

I do not have any scientific proof. But until somebody can proof me wrong, I will use my small fish tank.

6. scubaninja

scubaninja

I kept one for a short time while it was waiting to go onto a new owner. Didn't have white spot once during the stay with me. Ate really well and was pretty fat. From what I understand of WS is that even if your fish do not have it at the time, it can stay dormant in your sand for quite a while. The tank it was in was barebottom and I hadn't had any WS with my livestock before then. So maybe there wasnt much to actually get at the PB. It died shortly after being in the new owners tank though, to WS if i remember correctly. Cant think of how to really fight against WS, lowered salinity and general health of your fish comes to mind but the gurus can give you the right stuff.

7. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

I'm very very scared of them, but love lhem!

Andre@reefaquatics placed one for me in QT for 4 weeks. Picked him up 2 months ago with fear in my face.
    He is healthy as can be and never looked back!

He and the blonde nazo is the clowns of the tank!

8. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Powder blues like to be the boss of your group of tangs. If you introduce one into a tank that had other tangs be sure it's the biggest tang! Otherwise make it the only tang in your tank. Stress will cause an increase in the release of cortisol which will lower the immunity of the tang and thereby cause an outbreak in WS. Powder blues are stressed easily.

9. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Very true!

I have 3 yellow tangs, 2 regal tangs and the blond nazo and powder blue.
    The yellows and regals was introduced first. Then came the Powder blue 2 months later. After another 2 months I added the nazo.

Touch wood, not a single fight yet!

10. Fred d

Fred d Thread Starter

Thanks For The responces guys . Its seems to be agreed That WS will mosr likely be My problem . Anything else guys ?

11. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Contact Andre at reefaquatics and ask him to QT one for 4 weeks.
    Might cost a bit more, but you get a 100% healthy fish!

Then you need to take real good care of him!

Remember they love veg food. Give them loads of nori. I feed nori every second dan. Once a week I soak the nori in garlic guard.

12. Fred d

Fred d Thread Starter

I have learned a lot about talking care And dealing with delicate skin with My foxface . He also stresses at times ... nori And garlicguard has helped him heal The 2 or 3 times he has had Whitespot . His new best friend , My fireshrimp , also mounts him ons a regular basis to inspect him And clean off some unwanteds . They getting nori , frozed baby brine And pellets And there's also a wide selection of algae to munch on .

13. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Great stuff!!

14. Fred d

Fred d Thread Starter

Wow @RiaanP i actually ever thought about Its but Its makes perfect sence . Thanks For that man .
    @LCornelius . So far ask quarentine goes . He has Been in one For a while now since arriving from. Abroad . He actually had Whitespot i The qt And Its Was treated with herbtana . Saw Its yesterday And sseems to be in perfect health . Active , boysterous , eating well .

These responces are great guys . Anybody else !

15. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

Glad to see that our QT service we offer works, from that same batch we sold another 5 PB's and all are still doing well.
    I also prefer to do this as when these delicate fish land after their gruelling trip we prefer to keep them as stable as possible and for as long as possible to build their immune systems.

16. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Your QT system is top notch :thumbup:

17. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

@Fred d, i believe that most tangs & angels should only be introduced in 100% healthy, matured system and the fish ideally should never be handled.
    The ideal is to have your own fish trap. Take it to the petstore & let them catch the fish with the trap. Then you can place the trap in your tank & very slowly acclimatise the fish without ever touching the fish.
    Ive done it a few times & it wirks very well.
    The other thing that helps keep new fish healthy is a 1st grade diet of frozen & live foods the first couple weeks.

18. Fred d

Fred d Thread Starter

19. Petethefeet1

Petethefeet1

I had an awesome PB who was the boss of my tank for about 12 months until WS break out, it was impossible to cure aqnd eventually it spread onto my other fish killing 8 in all. I would seriously not risk a powder blue ever again even though i love them.

One option is to have a QT tank ready for the powder blue if its get bad white sport. A few specs can easily be solved with garlic and nori however if the WS comes back with a vengence then you may need to remove the fish and place him in a QT tank. This of course also could worsen the problem due to the stress of catching him.

20. Fred d

Fred d Thread Starter

Thanks pete . The more the inputs tbe better the understanding . Pooling info ... Thats What this forum should be all about ...

21. 4age

4age

i recently added a powder blue tang to my setup..i expected it to get white spot and it did, but im trying to manage it by feeding well and letting the fish recover..from what i have heard and seen, once a powder blue settles in and if there is not much stress on the fish it generally does ok..white spot will come and go...although i do have a spare tank in case white spot becomes very bad

I do want to deworm the powder blue and see what a difference getting rid of the internal parasites makes on the overall health of the tang and if affect its ability to handle white spot..hopefully it helps

Recent Posts