Potters Angel - Why is it listed as difficult?

Family: Pomacanthidae (Angelfishes) picture (Cepot_u1.jpg) by Randall, J.E.
tn_Cepot_u1.jpg

Point map
Order: Perciformes (perch-likes) Class: Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes) FishBase name: Russet angelfishMax. size: 10.0 cm TL (male/unsexed; Ref. 9710) Environment: reef-associated; non-migratory; marine; depth range - 5 m Climate: tropical; 30°N - 17°NImportance: aquarium: commercial Resilience: High, minimum population doubling time less than 15 months(Preliminary K or Fecundity.) Distribution:
Gazetteer Eastern Central Pacific: Johnston (Ref. 11013) and Hawaiian Islands. Morphology: Bright orange with irregular, close-set, thin, vertical black stripes on body, head, and fins; the dorsal, caudal, and anal fins with bright blue margin; the pectoral and pelvic fins orange to bright yellow. Biology: Inhabit rock, coral, or rubble areas of seaward reefs; juveniles occasionally in 5 m (Ref. 9710). Feed on algae and detritus (Ref. 13550). Oviparous (Ref. 240), monogamous (Ref. 52884). Peak reproductive activity occurs from mid-December through May. Spawns at dusk during the week before full moon.

this is all i came up with.

They probably do not travel well or have specialized feeding. Most marine fishes that are rated difficult to keep are in one or more of these categories

i think they just as easy to keep as a coral beauty

Hi, the reason they are considered more difficult are the way they are collected. Most Potter angels are collected with drugs. They also tend not to ship as well as other angels and require better packaging.

If and when you aquire a properly catched and shipped specimen, it is as hardy as the other common dwarf angels we know.

Ok thanks for the info.

It seems my Potters Angel has come down with white-spot now. Probably stressed out from shipping and move to my tank.

It is feeding (not very much) on Omega One First food for finicky eaters so I am just going to leave it and hopefully my cleaner shrimp will assist with the white spot.

Clinton

Thanks Robin,

I did in fact get the Marine pellets with Garlic, the Super Kelp Pellets (for the Tangs), and also the First Flake.

I feed a little bit of everything, but the pellets are usually eaten by the clowns and tangs before any other fish have a chance. So the First Flake is what is left over for the other fish.

my Potters is very shy, so does not even come out when feeding (did not see him yesterday at all so I hope he is still alive).

BTW, just a comment on Omega One. I find the pellets are a little on the large size. My new powder black (about 10cm) battles to fit them in its mouth. In retrospect I would have gone with the flake on all variants as my smaller fish really struggle with the size of the pellets.

A suggestion, put the pellets in a blender :p It will float more then, but I'm sure if you pre soak the all will be okay.

Wikus

Back
Top Bottom