Potjie's 4ft

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by Potjie, 27 Jun 2010.

1. Potjie

Potjie

Hi all!

Just an update on the progress on my marine setup...

Bought a Real MH + T5 combo light from Lanzo on Saturday and installed it today, what a mission! Anyways, it is intalled and is looking good...

I have filled up the tank with RO water and it has been running for 4 days now. I have got the temprature up to 24.7 degrees and I am ready to add the salt (I know I am nots supposed to in the tank, but I am just to lazy to carry around all that water!)

My next project is the electrics. I want to make a DB board with built in timers. I have tried Builders Warehouse, but they do not have the plastic DB boards that use those small circuit breakers. Does anybody have an idea where I can get those DB boards and some suggestions on design?

Also I want to buy some LR this coming weekend to start cycling the tank.

P.S. How do I post a picture!?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. PeterL

PeterL

To upload, you siply click just blow this box where it says "upload image".
    A pop up will appear and you browse you PC then select host image, it will upload the pic and if you look at the very top of this page just as you have finished uploadong, you will see the pic, then just right click - copy then paste into this text box where you are typing...very easy actually.

Check the link below, there is a host of electical/electronics shops noted, ACDC should have everything you want and they have a web site for you to have a look online.

Looking for a float switch - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Would be nice to have a look at some pics of your setup if you can get them posted

4. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

Hi Potjie, Welcome to this forum. This is the best shortcut to a successful marine system in SA according to me. Congrats on your first tank filling. I live at the coast and do not have any experience of adding salt to water already in the tank. I did however test my current tank with fresh water and the overflow and and drain pipes(Durso type) worked well until the tank was filled with salt water. It does not make an un manageable difference but the difference is there. So be prepared to maybe make slightr adjustments afterwards. No0w we are waiting for the tank pics!

5. Yuri

Yuri

now it is time for the photos
    Go to voltex thy are close to lanzo (for the DB )

6. Potjie

Potjie Thread Starter

I am really having trouble posting a picture! I select upload picture and select the picture and then nothing!

But aanhouer wen...

Finally managed to post a picture!

Last edited: 27 Jun 2010
  7. Potjie

Potjie Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    My tank aquascaped.
    [​IMG]
    My sump.

I am going to remove the filter wool and do my DSB in that compartment. I am also going to put some sand in my overflow for DSB / Refugium. I will need to go the Reggies this weekend to pick some up though!

8. gaboon

gaboon

nice dude, coming along nicely

9. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Looking good there Potjie :thumbup:

10. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

I see you figured out the pic thing !

First off welcome to MASA you have made a great start with the tank !

A few suggestions .....

Putting the DSB in the middle compartment is an excellent idea, make sure it is al least 15-18cm deep... the best is to seed it with a cup of sand from an existing reefers DSB.

In a month or two consider running macro algae in there as well as another form of nutrient export.

While the tank is relatively empty, consider building a rock stand, if you look at the water column above the rocks you will need a HUGE coral to make it look full... by raising the rock work... either with a rock stand or securing rocks together (there are several methods) you can have a much larger variety of corals in the same space.

what pump do you have in the display tank ?

i personally like a black background as it makes the colors pop, others like blue and still others like nothing .... you may want to put a black refuse bag behind the tank to get an idea of what a black background will look like ...

11. Potjie

Potjie Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions Neil, will try the background out tonight.

Any suggestions on the rock stand? I have seen some people using plastic stands to get some height. Where would I be able to get some info on the different methods? I do not want too much rock at this stage as I still need to put some LR in.

The pump in the display tank is just for extra circulation to get everything through the filter wool. I want to get a Vortech pump a bit later though.

12. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

a plastic stand is what i used... just pvc tubing and egg crate

some guys use pretleys putty to join the rocks

Some guys use plastic rods and others use cable ties, PeterL also found some cool plastic stuff which looked promising... maybe PM him for details

13. Boegie

Boegie

Looking good so far.

14. Potjie

Potjie Thread Starter

Hi all

Just a few pictures of my progress with my tank so far:
    [​IMG]
    I took Neil H's advice and built a rock stand from electrical pvc piping and egg crate. I am still not 100% happy, but will first let the new LR settle and seed the rest of the base rockbefore I change anything again.
    [​IMG]
    Picture of my new DSB. Bought kiddies play sand, eventually got it clean!
    [​IMG]
    I was having trouble getting the Protein Skimmer to work in the sump. I took it out and tested it in a bucket of water and voila...it works! So I figured out it must be the water depth not allowing air to the pump. I connected an old small air pump I had lying around and it works!
    [​IMG]
    A picture of the last 5kg of Lanzo's LR I got...
    [​IMG]
    Just a FTS to show the complete picture...

15. Potjie

Potjie Thread Starter

This morning when I switched on the light I saw this small little critters running all over the rocks and the LR. I couldn't get a picture in time, but what could it be? It looks like a small colourless ant type of thing...

16. crispin

crispin

looking great potjie:) io dont think ive welcome you to masa yet, so welcome hope you ahve lots of fun here:)

i am assuming youve managed to add the salt to that water by now?? what is your Sg and do you have a refractometer (i recomend getting one) or a hydrometer to measure salt content? Also do u have any test kits, if not now is a great time to get some (yesterday would be better!:))

aquascaping takes a while to get right and some really love a rock stand, others dont. about the best example i ever saw was neilH's, so have a look through his thread and see exactly what he did, but what is important to remeber is that if your rock is not scaped so that water can flow around and through the reef it will lead to dead spots and detritus will build up, consequently this leads to lots of problems down the line so getting random water flow with good quality internal pumps is very important. With water flow less is often more and its an aspect of scaping a tank i personally still battle with alot.

those little flea like things you see scrurrying over the Lr are brilliant to have:) they are called "pods"and come in different forms...copepods, amphipods etc etc etc but the are really good at keeping things clean (like to eat algae:)) and they are very good at getting eaten by fish:) let em breed a while before you add any fish, a good pod pop is very valuable and if the establish properly before you add fish that eat them, then you have a sustaining population:)

nice sump btw:)

17. crispin

crispin

out of intrest what sort of lights come in that unit? 150w MH or 250W MH's and what sort of t5's?

18. PeterL

PeterL

Hey Potjie, have you tested your skimmer by simply raising the pump? I have heard of the same problem with the TS1 skimmer whereby it doesn't draw enough air if it is too low down in the water, when simply raising the pump (shortening the pipe which attaches to the skimmer), it suddenly draws loads of air and an air pump isn't required.

This happens because the air doesn't have as much pressure on it, it is like trying to breath from a hose inside a swimming pool, you can do it closer to the sureface, but the deeper you go, the harder it is to draw air.

19. PeterL

PeterL

I like the set-up so far, looks like it is on track to being a stunning reef...keep it up.

20. Potjie

Potjie Thread Starter

Hi Crispin!

Thanks for the welcome! I have really been enjoying MASA, all the information and different view points. I do not have any marine test kits at this stage. I only have a test kit that would test nitrates in salt water. I am saving up to get some decent test kits at the end of the month. I am using a Sera hydrometer, sg at 1.024. I need to save for a refractometer as well!

Those pods are going to have a looong time to establish a colony! I do not plan to add any fish for at least 2-3 months. My next purchase (after the tes kits!) will be a clean up crew. If I can get past the wife, I really want to get a Vortech MP40 pump in a couple of months time. I hope that will help with the circulation!

What would constitute a good CUC?

21. Potjie

Potjie Thread Starter

It has 2x 150w metal halides, 2x 54w 20 000k T5 and 2 blue moonlight LEDs if you can believe the website! Lanzo uses the same unit in his store, he just replaced the bulbs with Geissman bulbs. I will do the same in a couple of months time as I feel I do not need the best light at this stage!

Recent Posts