potential Anoxic areas?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Barlan, 11 Jun 2012.

1. Barlan

Barlan

hi all

we've just recently acquired a RSM130D and i've got some questions about the setup and cycling. We're following instructions and so far we havent had the algae out break the book talks about. i'm not too concerned about that yet, my problem is something called anoxic areas under the live rock. we've had the tank setup for about 4 or 5 days, we're on day 5 of the RSM manual, adding supplements.

here is a pic of my tank so far. (attached)

my worry revolves around the areas at the base of the rock structure. the rock is basically on the glass, but i did add the rock after the substrate, so i had to move it away around the rock base.

any advice about whether or not this is good or bad, or what i can do about it. the rocks sit quite flat on the glass, but not totally.

i still need to putty the right side structure to secure it.

does my structure allow for enough light and flow? should i get a powerhead? the RSM flow pumps are pretty strong, but obviously the current dissipates with distance.

thank you all

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

ok, so my attachment wasnt added to this post...

here it is.

[​IMG]

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Hi Barlan, what supplements are you adding?
    Your structure looks very open which is good, I'm not sure how strong the built-in pumps are, maybe someone who owns one of these tanks can advise if they have added extra pumps.

With regards to your concerns about the rocks sitting on top of the substrate, I wouldn't worry about it, many systems are built this way.

5. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

hi viper

thanks for the reply

this is what we're dosing the tank with: (reef mature pro red sea max)
    Nitro Bac - a concentrated blend of nitrifying and de-nitrifying bacteria spores to seed the live rocks, substrate and the bio-media in a new tank
    Bacto-Start – a balanced blend of nitrogen and phosphorus components that simulate the natural waste products of an active aquarium, enabling a controlled development of the aerobic and anoxic bacteria
    NO3:pO4-X - a unique complex of carbons and other organic bonded elements that are used by anoxic bacteria for the accurate control of algae nutrient (nitrate and phosphate) levels
    KH-Coralline Gro – a concentrated marine buffer complex, fortified with the specific minor and trace elements that promote the growth of coralline algae and other beneficial micro fauna. Note: Coralline algae and micro fauna will only develop if they are introduced to the system such as on live rocks

everything is going fine, well i hope so :) cause we're having a serious green sprouty out break on the glass and the substrate and rocks, but i',m sure its fine.

i'm glad to hear that anoxic areas shouldnt be a problem. plus circulation looks good, the sprouty things at the bottom o the glass (close to the base of the tank) are blown around, so there is definately circulation there.

any probs, i'll post again :)

thanks for the reply.

see the green sprouty things in the image below. its way worse now, looks a bit like a mini forest, but i dont get a bad feeling from it :)

[​IMG]

6. the fish

the fish

green hair algae perhaps?

7. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

well it has flourished into a forest of gha. pretty in a way, but not wanted... :)

this is week 2 of the pgm, day 13 of the schedule (rsm 130d setup and cycling schedule).

we have live rock that i had to keep out of the water for 2 days while putty dried and some very nice looking base rock which i did not cook... which might have caused my nitrate spike... cause the params are meant to be 10ppm by now, but i figure the little mistakes i made are gonna cost me cycling time...

hopefully nothing else tho.

8. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

i dnt see any green sprouty algae besides the added drawing scribbles on paint app

9. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

haha, thats funny.

[​IMG]

better? :arghh:

its gotten worse, but i've got a plan.

10. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

thats alot better:eek:

Recent Posts