Potassium Nitrate vs Sodium Nitrate

Reaction score
For those dosing Nitrate....what is your poison of choice? Potassium Nitrate or Sodium Nitrate. There might even be others. Let me know your thoughts and experiences.

Just be careful with potassium nitrate that it doesnt raise the potassium levels in your tank. Use sodium nitrate.
With any sodium additive your salinity will increase over time so just keep an eye on that

Awsome this is good info. On other forums the guys state that using potassium nitrate is perfectly fine. I've been using it for a while without issue. OK I can't test for potassium. But nitrates are solid. Problem I have is buying these 50g packets from pharmacies. They don't last me long. So I have ordered some sodium nitrate in bulk. So going to give that a try

Personally I wouldn't add either
If you have to add one then I would add the KNo3, the NaNo3 is going to give you constant salinity issues eventually.
Artificial salt is mainly a Na base so as the free Na builds up your salinity will be out all the time
With KNo3 you will eventually get a build up of K but at least the coals can use it in small amounts, so it will take longer but it will eventually happen.

Would it not be better to look at your filtration and reduce it slightly if you need to up the nitrates

I'm really not worried about salinity. I will have to add plenty sodium nitrate before salinity would flinch.

The main idea is to get more fish but that is taking time. Fish ain't cheap... Lol

Last edited:
I'm really not worried about salinity. I will have to add plenty sodium nitrate before salinity would flinch.

The main idea is to get more fish but that is taking time. Fish ain't cheap... Lol
I don't agree 100% with you
How much NaNo3 are you adding? Na is the main component behind your salinity, wont take much to increase it

How much NaNo3 are you adding? Na is the main component behind your salinity, wont take much to increase it
That would also depend on what else he is dosing. Na on its own doesnt raise salinity. If he is dosing MgCl or any chloride molecule then you will raise salinity quickly otherwise you will only have free positively charged Na molecules in water column.

Extra potassium from potassium nitrate wouldn't do much to harm corals unless u dosing a crazy amount.. In fact it's dosed to help with blue /pink colour in sps

i go through about 15g potassium nitrate at the moment on 750l water in 4 days.
That would also depend on what else he is dosing. Na on its own doesnt raise salinity. If he is dosing MgCl or any chloride molecule then you will raise salinity quickly otherwise you will only have free positively charged Na molecules in water column.
only other thing i dose is bicarb

the other thing i was wondering....how will it work out if i mix the two with each other? get best of both worlds?

The problem is that the devices used in the hobby are not lab grade or microscopes.
They are slightly affected by dissolved organics, inorganic, free ions, etc
So even free Na ions will affect your readings, the problems come in that after a while your readings will start becoming inaccurate and you might be trying to decrease your salinity when you don't need to.
Again these are long term problems nothing drastic in the short term

The problem is that a chemical reaction will take place in the mixture and you most probably will get a undissolvable precipitate forming that is going to cloud your water. If you want to dose both, dose them apart from one another.

oh ok...this is good to know. luckely i leave the chemistry to the guys who knows the stuff...lol
ill blow up something with my knowledge
for now i will stick to sodium nitrate and see how it goes. if it does make a difference to salinity and i cant control it ill just switch back to potassium nitrate. its not a huge problem. but i need to try

This morning just before I had to leave for work I mixed 15ml sodium nitrate with 500ml ro. Tested salinity just to see what it is. Was round about 1.017. So will see how it influence the tank salinity over time.

Back
Top Bottom