Possibly the best TIP for yr tank EVER!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by akhannay, 14 Mar 2012.

1. akhannay

akhannay

I dont know if someone has thought of this before... but it came to me while i was doing routine maintenance on my tank. If not then its (c) :lol:

How many of you do water changes? right 99% of you. How many of you siphon your sand while doing water changes? most of us (hopefully)...

well i always got annoyed that when i was siphoning my bucket got full and i would only be half way through my sand bed... how do i fix this? do i slow the siphon down, no that would make it suck... well less. do i get a bigger bucket? that would mean bigger water changes and more $$$.

so i looked around the house for a filter... eventually i found a pick'n'pay bag (the cloth one u buy) and chucked it into the sumpthen i made a "closed loop" siphon filter so i dont need to do a MASSIVE water change! in fact i didnt even lose a drop :thumbup:

it worked like a charm... the siphon pipe end i put into the bag and it has a very fine weave so it filters out the water/sand beautifully, why stop there? i pulled off the siphon tube and sucked up a couple of bubble algae, some stray cyno, even pulling out some hair algae with the pipe so it sucks it all out. why stop there?

I took a BIG a$$ pipe and made a WIDE and short siphon to filter the water faster... Then i used my turkey baster to blow the sand behind the rocks and make a "dust cloud". i found the dust settled and didnt always go over the overflow, now i had a high speed or temporary SUPER POWER AND ADJUSTABLE overflow that i waved around and grabbed any bigger floaters before they settle. when i was done i simply pulled out the bag and the water ran out leaving all the Detrus in the bag!

anyway now my tank is super clean :thumbup:

please "thanks" me if this tip works for you! :p

Last edited: 14 Mar 2012
    archiecrain and RiaanP like this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kharnyge

Kharnyge

Pics?.............or vid for that matter.......lol

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I used a similar setup, but with a filter sock. Siphon the display into the filter sock. Can "play all day".
    Eventually pull the sock and cleaned it outside.

Only stuff up was that I got carried away, did not look what I'm doing and moved to the end of the tank. Pulling the pipe out of the bag and onto the floor. Only when my feet got wet did I realize something is wrong. Now I use a longer piece of pipe.

5. Fishman

Fishman

Awesome!

6. Submariner

Submariner

I have used this for years it's also te best way to get rid of flatworm.

7. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I hope you still did a water change? It can only do good as it dilutes nutrients and replace trace elements. Just for that reason I do 10% per week or you can do 20% 2 weekly.

Kharnyge likes this.
  8. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Yip, this menthod works wonders! But as Submariner mentioned, you still need to perform the 10% water change weekly. This menthod just pushes the cleaning boundries offered by the 10% water change.

9. akhannay

akhannay Thread Starter

see dewald! i am smarter than you teehee :) please order me that white long spined urchin that lanzo does not wanna order for me... i am desperate :(

10. akhannay

akhannay Thread Starter

who is this guy? DAMN he is smart and good looking! and modest! :lol:

Recent Posts