Possible upgrade, what about the skimmer?

Reaction score
Hi all,

Currently I got a 150 liter tank supported by a Reeftek TS1 skimmer. I am considering upgrade to a 390 liter tank (square). The question coming up now is, will it really be necessary for me to upgrade my skimmer as well (e.g. to a Reeftek TS2)?

I do not plan to increase my life stock / coral , so feeding will stay the same.

Any advice?

I would upgrade the skimmer. Our intent for a system hardly stays the same when we see the extra space we have available to squeeze that one extra fish in :)

Just ensure that the sump first chamber would be big enough to accept a larger skimmer down the line. Not needed to immediately upgrade the skimmer. Keep an eye on the for sale section and one day you might be get a TS2 or similar.

Riaan,thanks for the advice. May I ask a follow-up question - let say I buy pool sand for the new tank, can I feed it with 2 or 3 cups from my existing system?

let say I buy pool sand for the new tan
Rather playsand. Pool sand got rather sharp edges.
But you need to wash that sand like a 1000 times.

can I feed it with 2 or 3 cups from my existing system?
yes you can, will help to start a population going.

Proper Aragonite has become cheap with different brands entering the market. Rather get that than any pool or play sand

Thanks for the feedback, I will get some prices. (Just thought that play sand is so fine it may cause a sandstorm!).

Just thought that play sand is so fine it may cause a sandstorm!

I did use playsand in my display for a few years. Depending on how you point your powerheads. Fine aragonite will blow around more than playsand. Blowing around is not really an issue.

Back
Top Bottom