Possible star question

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by ZeroCool, 31 Jul 2009.

1. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Good day, I have a question, the other day I read about things that are dangerous etc, that can kill corals etc.

Last night, I saw a bright white star again the inside of the glass (the tank).

I am dead sure it was a star of some type. It had 5 legs, and moved like a snail up and down etc.

Wish I took a pic to confirm what I saw, but when it pops up again, will certainly take a pic and post it.

My question, how can I know if that is a dangerous inmate, can I keep it, should I take it out etc ...

Zerocool

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anemone

Anemone

4. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Thread Starter

thanks for the quick reply. It looked like something as this (ps: thanks for the url).
    [​IMG]

it was very small. (max 2mm) first i thought it was snail egss, because someone asked about "what is this white spots against the glass".

5. Anemone

Anemone

This is a Asterina star (Family Asterinidae). You may see them with 2, 3, 4, 5 legs and even some with 6 or 7. Most of them are harmless, and I welcome them into my systems. There have been some people (very few) who say that they have eaten coral. Steven Pro says that the bright colored ones are the dangerous ones and that the white ones are fine. I've only had the white ones, which in my opinion are great hitch hikers and a good addition to your clean up crew.

6. Tony

Tony

Harmless guys. Leave them be

Recent Posts