possible research center water proposal

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mandarinman, 6 Mar 2010.

1. mandarinman

mandarinman

Having chatted with some of the guys at the get together today i have a suggestion. i think the research centre has been abused in the past with huge volumes of water being removed for a pittance of a donation. is there someone who has a contact there that a proposal could be made to? i would propose water collection membership permits of different values. 100 litres a week, 200, 500l etc and pay accordingly up front for that membership permit for the year. with the face on the permit being the only one allowed to collect , (could be in the form of a booklet, with proof of each collection.) if a pet shop is to fill a guys tank up etc they must apply for a special permit and pay accordingly. or the person whose tank it is must apply for his own permit. (if they are too snooty to do that then they can afford to buy their salt and mix it.
    Opinions and help please!?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. colbar

colbar

That sounds like an excellent idea!

4. Jaak

Jaak

This has been suggested to them shortly after they stopped letting us collect water but they did not bite. Maybe it is time to talk to them again??

5. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

Agreed, i might be able to get hold of someone that works there but the guy is one of those guys that really couldnt care less attitudes. Will ask him who we should speak to nd let u know

6. mandarinman

mandarinman Thread Starter

Good stuff! i was thinking 100 litre a week guys pay R100 mem per year R200 for 200 litres a week etc. plus people pay an admin fee of fifty bucks so a 100 litre a week guy would pay R150 per year. and all collectees collect for themselves and if a member has crappy attitude and bad manners revoke his collection membership.

7. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Good idea, Glen. I got the email address and the cell number from the director or whatever his title is. I am busy with too many things right now, but I will forward this proposal to him and follow up until a decision has been made.

So if you come up with a proposal that would work for you guys, i will sort out the rest.

8. mandarinman

Marcel
    different level collector licenses
    you would be allowed to collect different amounts of water per week. the idea would be to pay for your license ( if it turns out to be insufficient buy an additional one for the extra amount you would need). the proposal would be a card with photo of person,amount per time(calendar week) and manner of collection. eg trailer reg nr ,volume of trailer. or type and number of containers. the license card would be issued to person collecting, a rolodex would be kept by the relevant person at the institute to note amount collected
    and that it is in accordance with license(amount per calendar week)
    my proposal would be an initial admin fee of R75 per application and a rand allocation in relation to the maximum amount you would need per week.
    eg
    100 litre per week license would cost R175.00, 200 Litre per week license would cost R275.00 etc to maximum
    amount that would be acceptable to the institute.

the institute would have the right to revoke anyones license if that person abuses the system by buying a license for five hundred litres but filling a two thousand litre container(in a sense the collection trailer would determine the license amount eg 2000l trailer would need a R2075 license whether it is filled full or not.

the full purpose of this would be so that we could have the privilege not right to collect water in such a manner as not to inhibit the work of the institute or abuse the water availability to the detriment of others. If a certain person is a problem child their license would not be renewed.

input please!
    marcel please ask if this would be acceptable in principle and i will help set it up

9. LuckyFish

Okay Glen. I will send an email to Deon to find out if he would accept such license collection. I am not telling him an amount we would be prepared to spend. He must let us know, what amount would reasonable for a litre water.
    I will send him tonight an email, but don't get exited, because I have asked him many times and still waiting for an answer.
    In my opinion, water collection should be for the hobbyist only. Otherwise it will be a question of time until an LFS spoiks the whole thing again.
    I know about this case, and I have spoken to the marine research aquarium and to this particular LFS. Two different stories! So who is the bad apple?

10. Jaak

Jaak

I like your idea Glen. I'm more than willing to pay that.
    Marcel, it's more than one lfs that's at fault here and some hobbyists that collected thousands of litres more than they said they would that caused the problem...

11. mandarinman

marcel please put the whole proposal including the amounts to him. otherwise iit will be asking for a no answer as before.

12. LuckyFish

Glen, as far as I understand you, the fee will be for a 12 months license. Is that right?

Why for weekly collection? Are you also one of the weekly water change community?
    I noticed, many people are doing a weekly change.
    For what? If you got a filter, skimmer, etc. and if you add calcium, etc., there is no reason to change water weekly. Every 1,2 or 3 months, between 10 and 25% is more than enough.
    That's what I use to do and that's what Julian Sprung recommended.

Last edited: 7 Mar 2010
  13. mandarinman

weekly water change maintains water standard imo if you can maintain water standard without doing regular water changes good stuff. my concern is that in a tank with various corals the light penetration variance between water after three months no water change and water change the next day will shock corals especiall spses.. good articles on advancedaquarist will explain in more detail. i mustsay that i think it it varies depending on size of tank, the bioload and the supplements used as well as filtration methods

Last edited: 7 Mar 2010
  14. LuckyFish

Same effect will happen, if you start using activated carbon with to much carbon. The water clears up quickly and the corals can't adjust so quick. Corals get burned.

15. mandarinman

good point

16. mandarinman

hey marcel! when you contact the dudes let us know cos it might be acceptable to pay the license fee and so much per collection. eg 100 litre guys 175 license and 10 rand per collection 200 litre guys 275 plus 20rand per collection etc

17. LuckyFish

I was today at the research aquarium in Seapoint. Deon, the head of this department was on leave. I will contact him next week.
    I had a chat with many of the staff members about NSW collection.
    The research aquarium tried many times to get permission from the authorities (or whatever you call the guys above the research aquarium staff) to find an official way for the collection of seawater. The authorities rejected the application from the research center.
    Then the research center made it possible to collect NSW to the hobbyist and set up a
    donation box. In the middle of last year, many incidents happened. Different collectors wanted to collect NSW ten minutes before closing time. Many collectors started swearing at the staff members. Many collectors collected huge amounts of seawater and donated a few coins. There where also collectors who donated notes only, up to 100 Rand at the time.
    The marine research center in Seapoint is still part of environmental affairs. That will change soon (by April), so the research centre will be in the future part of the agriculture department (or whatever the name is).
    Because of corruption and fraud, the old way of collecting water is forbidden (collect and donate).
    I was adviced to come up with this topic in about six months time. Until then, there will be no NSW collecting possible.

Sorry guys, use artificial salt or TwoOceans water in the meanwhile.

18. mandarinman

thanks for trying for us Marcel, really appreciate it!

19. FransSny

FransSny

Thanks for giving it a try Marcel, really appreciated

Recent Posts