Possible National Reef Convention?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

We've been chatting on one of the other threads and the idea of an national convention(get together for all reeefers.

We were thinking possibly of holding the getotgether in Cape Town. I have some sway with the Commodore and Portswoods hotels at the V&A. Adjacent to the 2 oceans aquarium. We could have a behind the scenes tour of the aquarium, followed by some guest speakers in the hotel conference centre. The V &A also provides entertainment for the famdamily or just a cold brewski.

At the moment a passing idea, but keen to see what response is to such an idea?

Mike

sounds great, i am in, need a break from JHB.

an idea are 20min talks only, where everyone chats about a topic, that way everyone learns and gets to speak, i know some arent speakers, but its really great if everyone gets involved, also have the big talks by the Pro's

Just FYI, there is a conference being planned for Cape Town this year (by the CTRC) with international guest speakers.

was waiting for that :)

well not to start anything, but this would be MASA as apposed to national, am i right?

Hi Monti - yeah - I know of IMACSA. But this is more of a social event, than such a HUGE planned event. I wish Muz was back online already. As he has the contacts.
BUT, then again - I could also call some people.

Mike - as I said before - if you can arrange the venue - I am QUITE sure that it won't be a problem to get the reefers together to attend.

I think that even though we are talking about "speakers" - we should try and keep this as informal as possible.
I do not think that we should try and emulate an "IMACSA" even in ANY WAY.....

Thanks for spearheading this for us, Mike. I think that this could be an AWESOME idea.

BUT - before I get too hasty - let's see how many other commitments can we get.

Then - we can start with the planning. ;)

besides this would be open to all :)

Nice idea indeed :)

I'm the head of the organising committee for IMACSA 2009 (International Marine Aquarium Conference of South Africa). We're holding it in conjunction with the Two Oceans Aquarium in October for National Marine Week.

We're ironing out a few more details with the Two Oceans and we'll be ready to announce the event pretty soon. I'll keep you posted.

Hi guys, Im very new to the hobby, and just feel I can give back a bit to the community. I would not know what the best way to start, operate the function etc. I will do my level best to arrange a conference room, accomodation at best possible rates etc. Ill leave it to the more experienced and well known guys to sort the strategy and offering.

Rob, I apologise Im in no way trying to step on toes at all, Im sorry. As mentioned Im new around here. If you guys need help with accomodation , etc at portswood or commodore drop me a pm and Ill be more than happy to help where I can.

well i have been involved in a few conferences, all geek related, but i am sure the same applies to reef geeks :) lol

That's cool, Mike. Thanks again.

Rob - cool man! Many thanks for the update!
Once again - as I said - I think this should rather be seen as a huge "reefclub" meeting, rather than a formal event......

I do not think that too much should go into this.
Perhaps have it on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon..... Then more people can attend.

Also - being close to the V&A - people can then have light lunches/drinks as and how they please...

It is just that one would like to have a big enough venue for this type of get together, because no-one's home is big enough ;)

MikeR, no toes stepped on at all :) Thanks for your offer of help. Things are going to get hectic close to the time and any offers of help are greatly appreciated.

Jacques, IMACSA is a big formal event, with corporate/industry sponsors, international speakers and an accompanying expo. This shouldn't in any way exclude smaller, easier to handle events and I'm all for any get together anyone wants to organise.

This is a great idea, but please guys a suggestion here. Lets wait and see what is going to happen with IMACSA this year, people from outside CT wont be able to make the trip twice in a short space of time.

Back
Top Bottom