Possible Lighting for Anemone

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by inflames, 26 May 2009.

1. inflames

inflames

Hi Brenda,:wave2:

Hope you are well! :thumbup: Please can you shed some light (no pun intended!!!) on what are the optimal lighting requirements and what is bare minimum lighting requirements to succesfully sustain and keep an anemone happy. Is it possible to keep these beautiful creatures with T5 lighting systems only, or a combination of T5 and MH lighting, or just MH lighting. I know that allot of factors come into play in this question. but if you could just give us your thoughts on just the lighting aspect that would be great. Thanks!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

I have found RBTA and normal bubble tip anemones tolerant of dimmer lights, that's not to say too little light. Anemones like the heteractis magnifica and crispa to name a few need extremely intense light

4. Anemone

Anemone

In addition to what Tony said, It depends on the species and depth of the tank.

BTAs can be kept under PC under the right conditions (depth of tank and feedings). I don't recommend keeping anything else under PC. T5 lighting (with individual reflectors) is a good choice for some. Once you get into the more difficult anemones, like the H. magnifica I recommend MH. Each case is different. What species are you intending to keep?

5. Tony

Tony

Brenda, some guys always talk about keeping magnificas under blinding light of 400-1000 watt halides. Is this necessary?

6. inflames

inflames Thread Starter

I am just doing some research and not really sure what I would like to keep. I did have a red based anemone (Heteractis Aurora i think?!?!) that I took back the the LFS that I got it from. It really was not happy and after I did some research and my tank had only been running for 5 months when I added it and was also concerned that my lighting was not sufficiant. I have 4 T5 39watt (2 white 12 000k and 2 blue). the depth of my tank is 450mm. I would like to get another anemone, but not to the detriment of the animal! thats why i need to get lighting requirements sorted before attempting another 1! I would like to get a species that is reletively easy to keep and pleasing to the eye that would suit my current lighting. I am thinking of adding another 2 54watt T5 tubes.

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Inflames - my opinion (for what it may be worth), is that you DEFINITELY get the extra T5's, and then you should successfully be able to keep a BTA at least....
    BUT, not before you got the extra pair of T5's, though.

I have been keeping nemmies for 4 years now. My magnifica have been with me now for 3 years.
    I have a carpet anemone, as well as a heteractis malu.

I know that carpet anemone's also requires a huge amount of lighting, as do magnifica's. My magnifica DEFINITELY wants to be as high up as possible in my tank, (my water column is 470mm deep - tank being a total of 700mm high - with the total water level - from below sand level, is 600mm).... I have 3 x 150 watt metal halides over my tank, hanging about 17cm above my tank's water level......

My nemmie's seems to be happy, because they keep on growing, and do not move.

8. Loki

Loki cable tie ninja

I inherited a heteractis crispa that is "surviving" under 4x39w T5's and direct feeding every other day. I would be more than happy to swop anyone for some decent softies..

[​IMG]

9. Anemone

Anemone

There have been many that have kept them under 250 watt. I would prefer the 400 watt. 1000 watt seems to be a bit much IMO unless your tank is really deep.

It is easy to blame lack of lighting for the death of this species (and sometimes it is the cause). However, because this species does not ship well, the buyer is not always getting a healthy anemone. So I don't believe we can blame lack of lighting all of the time.

There are some who are propagating this species. Yay! Hopefully, this will help tremendously and we will someday know more about them, and at the same time stop harvesting them from the ocean.

10. inflames

inflames Thread Starter

Thanks for the info...what species would you suggest that is relatively easy to keep under T5 lighting and would be happy in these conditions?

11. Anemone

Anemone

The BTA (E. quadricolor) is a great beginner anemone. Although still considered difficult, it is the easiest (IMO) of the hosting anemones to keep.

Does your T-5 fixture have individual reflectors? Without the individual reflectors, T-5 lighting is comparable to PC lighting.

12. Anemone

Anemone

How long have you had this anemone? Has it shown any improvement since you got it?

You may get more people to see that you want to trade if you post it in its own thread. Not sure how well it will get noticed here.

13. inflames

inflames Thread Starter

I will do some research on this and see if they are available where I stay! What are the common names for this anemones? I do have seperate reflectos for each of my tubes...only done recently and does make a huge difference to the amount of light in my tank compared to the mirror I had before! Will clown's (percular) take to this type of anemones?

14. Anemone

Anemone

Bubble Tip Anemone (BTA), Rose Bubble Tip Anemone (RBTA) Green Bubble Tip Anemone (GBTA).

Mine host this anemone, as do many others. However, in captivity, there is no guarantee that any clownfish will take to an anemone, no matter what species.

15. inflames

inflames Thread Starter

Cool...when I had my Red Base and added 2 percular clowns...they looked at it like it was familiar but never actually hosted it! Think its because they are tank reared and never actually seen an anemones before! will have a look out for this type! any links for a good read on these?:razz:

16. Anemone

Anemone

17. Tony

Tony

Thanks Brenda for putting that one to bed.:thumbup:

18. inflames

inflames Thread Starter

Thanks for the great link to a good read, allot of info on the site! Also for all the helpfull advise...it will be put to good use!!:thumbup:

19. Anemone

Anemone

You're welcome!

Recent Posts