Possible Jelly fish? and other questions

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by wiesnerm, 27 Oct 2008.

1. wiesnerm

wiesnerm

Hi there, this is my first post on this awesome site.

I started a new tank beginning of September 2008. I added 6kg's of Kenian Live Rock to help with the maturity process. After 4 weeks, I added 3x Red legged hermit crabs and 1 week later 4x Turbo Snails (of which one died Unfortunately :(). This weekend I added 1x Perculiar clown, 1x Goldie, 1x Cleaner Shrimp. Everything seems to be going well.

I have the following questions and would love some help:
    - There seems to be a "film" on top of the water. What is this and how to I get rid of it?
    - There are long white feeler type things that appears from the LR. They build themselves a "cave" from the gravel. They extent their bodies and grab some food from the gravel and live rock. Any idea on what these can be?
    - Then yesterday I noticed tiny jelly fish like creatures (about 1cm long) in my tank. Is this possible? and where do they come from?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Hi, welcome to MASA, firstly slow down a little you are adding too much too quick.

Ok, moaning over :)

The film on the water indicates a lack of water movement, you need powerheads in your tank to add flow, around 30 times the tank volume.

I.e. if you had a 100 litre tank, you would need 3 x 1000litre/hour powerheads to create sufficient water movement.

The film means that you need to aim a powerhead to create a rippling effect on the water surface, this helps in gas exchange.

The white feelers could be spionid worms or similar hitchiker - usually harmless detrivores. Any chance of a pic?

The tiny jelly creatures, do they look like fleas/tiny shrimps and scurry around your liverock? if yes then cool, they are probably mysid shrimp or possibly copepods, again a pic would help, or have a little google and see if you can match them with any names i gave you.

If they are jellyfish type things then i would need a pic to ID.

Good luck and stick around.

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Wiesnerm - a VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA!

Here's my take on the things:
    1) film on the water: YES - as Mike said - need more turbulent/chaotic water flow (especially at the water surface). This "film" is because of protein breakdown in the water. This is what the protein skimmer is supposed to removed. This "film" also needs to be removed by "surface skimming" by the overflow in the tank.
    2) The long feeler type "things" are the feeding tentacles of worms - as Mike said - Spionid worms (sorry Mike for repeating your info here :))
    3) the "jellyfish" like things would MOST likely be aptaisia babies - BUT a picture will definitely enable us to confirm this....

5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA!!!! :wave2:

6. crispin

crispin

hey fella:) welcome to masa. seems like most has been covered already, just wanted to say welcome on board:)

7. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA :)

8. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

WELCOME TO MASA

9. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

10. wiesnerm

wiesnerm Thread Starter

OOPS, Finger troubles. Let's try again.

I will take some pictures (or at least try to capture these tiny guys) tonight and post it tomorrow. I don't think the "jelly fish" thingies are mysid shrimp or copepods. It is like a small round white ball on top and 2 white balls a bit lower that moves in a jelly fish like motion. The others are most probably Spionid worms.

Thanks for your advice. I will invest in some powerheads to get the water moving around.

11. aslam

aslam

Hi, and welcome.

12. wiesnerm

wiesnerm Thread Starter

I was able to capture the white feelers and here is the pic (hope you can figure it out)

[​IMG]

The "Jelley" fish thingies are too small to capture properly. I also started to notice some copepods in my tank as well.

Some more questions:
    1. The glass in my tank keep on getting a green layer of alge on it and I clean it every second day. Just want to make sure that this is normal. It also appears on some of the crushed coral that I have in the tank.
    2. My goldie does not seem to take to dried food (I use Hikari Marine S as recommended by my LFS). It takes it in its mouth and spits it out again. What is the best to feed them? Some frozen brine shrimp?

13. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

the green algae is an unfortunate part of our hobby, sometihng we all suffer from, get a good magfloat.
    Frozen brine has no nutritional value, can you get live pods from your lfs? or some frozen krill pacifica.

I have heard of the jellies like that before, but for the life of me i can't remember where from but i don't think it is bad, but i'll have a read up and get back to you.

14. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

15. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Please add my welcome to all the above, gr8 to have you along.

16. wiesnerm

wiesnerm Thread Starter

Thanks for the advise. I will wait for them to settle and nuke them. :gun_bandana:

Last edited by a moderator: 30 Oct 2008
  17. Mtroboer

Mtroboer

Welcome! You are certainly in good hands here, if you use the advice given you will only have pleasure from your tank!:thumbup:

Recent Posts