Possible dumb question

Fishy Steve

Hiden super user
Reaction score
I have a canister running on my 140l tank and was wondering is it worth trying to convert it into a mini dsb? Taking the baskets out and somehow reducing the flow because I think if I put a whole lot of sand in the canister it will just create a sand storm and blow out.

Any input will help. wanting to do this because I really don't wanna empty the tank and drill for an overflow or buy one of those rediculously overpriced hang on overflows.

gotta use this guy cause he's tempting me :slayer: OK it's outta my system now.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I honestly can't see it working, use the external to run carbon and or rowaphos.

Fishy Steve

Hiden super user
Reaction score
That was my second option. Just didn't wanna waste the space as the canister is about ten litres I think. Which means that's a lotta carbon. What about an in tank DSB. Think I asked about it before but to lazy to go look back. Does it work? I think jaques is running one. Might be mistaken.

Fishy Steve

Hiden super user
Reaction score
How much carbon and phos remover must I put in?

Fishy Steve

Hiden super user
Reaction score
Sorry and how often do I change it?

Reaction score
in tank dsb works. needs to be 100mm deep. carbon 2 weeks, phospahate remover 3 to 6 months.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Ditto to Warr's answer.... And yes - I am indeed running an in-tank DSB..... Just wish I could more of the problematic live rock into my sump - but they've got corals growing on them :-( (the live rock is the cause of my nuisance algae issues - not my in-tank DSB)...