possible disease on Angel

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by magman, 15 Aug 2010.

1. magman

magman

Hi guys,

Please look at the dorsal fin on this queen of mine, I believe it came in on Thursday in a shipment, I got it Friday. Now the fish swims fine, pecking on sponges under the rocks, it has not really eaten prepared yet. I am not too stressed on it eating yet for a newbie, it does appear tamish and not hide all day in the rocks.

what is stressing me, is the fins. Is this disease on the dorsal fine? Please look closely. I will add a few pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 15 Aug 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trev

Trev

Did he come like that ? is it getting progresivly worse or not. Dude for your sake I am hoping he got a nasty scrape on some rocks

4. magman

magman Thread Starter

these pics are from the day I got him!!!!!

5. Trev

Trev

I still think it is very possibly just scrapes but the pics arnt that clear

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

7. magman

magman Thread Starter

8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

None, sorry, I've never had to deal with it.

9. magman

magman Thread Starter

shot bud

10. Yuri

Yuri

i can not id it from the photo
    But it is not looking to bad
    Give it a para gard dip
    Is the fish eating if not give it clam om half shell and scallop

11. Yuri

Yuri

i forgot many big angel get hurt when thy are catched in the net at the pet shop then then the bone stick thrue the skin
    At he fins (is that how it is looking)

12. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Did you buy him like that? Or did this happen since he is in your DT?
    I can´t see anything wrong, besides the dorsal fin is sort of scrapped off. If he eats and it is not getting worse, I would not treat him. It should go away on it´s own. My surgeon always swam through a hole in a rock. Two, three months ago he was half the size from what he is now. Obviously it was a matter of time until he won´t fit through the hole anymore. The day came, he scrapped a big piece off and within a few days, everything went back to normal. He doesn´t swim through the hole anymore I wonder why.:)

Quarantene and treatment means stress for your fish, so if it is not getting worse, do nothing. Finrot should start on soft fins and should spread. All other fins look fine to me.

13. magman

magman Thread Starter

Thats it exactly, sticking through the fins.

Thank's bud, I was regretteing that I did not quarenteen theses two, but I have always disagreed with quarentine and always thought that it is more stress on the fish, and rather let it move in one time and settle. Your post has made me feel not so bad!!!

14. LuckyFish

Pleasure, but you haven´t answer my question. If you would answer, I might be able to make you feel even better.;)

15. Trev

Trev

Thank's bud, I was regretteing that I did not quarenteen theses two, but I have always disagreed with quarentine and always thought that it is more stress on the fish, and rather let it move in one time and settle. Your post has made me feel not so bad!!![/QUOTE]

Actually Mag man you are wrong IMO.Quarantining a fish reduces the stress on the fish in a HUGE way and this is why most fish do so well in QT tanks and start eating well then fatten up.

Dude I never QT a fish due to diseases never I simply just dont buy suspect fish. I QT fish to destress them and give them the chance to start eating well without any competition in their imediate enviroment for me the QT period ends when I am happy the fish has fattened up enough to survive the next period which is puting them in the DT, for example very shy eaters liek my Cheatodontoplu Mesoleucus Angels I QT for double the time I would QT my Emporer Angel for becuase the Emporer is a much more agressive eater you get the point. Also fish that are ether poor shippers or soft in gereral I will always begin the QT at a lower SG as it makes the fish much more relaxed and its easier for them to stay alive as they need a huge amount less energy to even just breath and I base the decision on what SG on the fishes condition at that point in time but I rarely go lower than 1015. Also the lower I go teh longer the fish stays in QT. For example In my experiance an angel same species and same condition ( assume poor condition ) the fish in QT at 1015 will last about 10days even if it doesnt eat and dies off where as the same fish in QT at SG 1025 will only last about 3 -4 days before dieing off so the lower SG will give the fish an extended period in which In my experiance 90% of the fish will start eating and recover to full health.

When I recently QT my new Moorish Idol pair in the same QT system was a Mesoleucus Angel a Blue Face angel and a Majestic Angel now the Moorish Idols I removed from the QT on Sunday and they are now inn my 1.2 DT. The Blue Face Angel has gotten my good to go stamp today only but the Mesoleucus angel is IMO at least another 5 days away from getting the good to go stamp ( if he continues at his current feeding rate ).

Again I never QT a fish for disease as correct fish choice will solve this problem but if I have an issue with a fish and a disease the fish is hospitalized which is another totaly different system.

Hope this makes sence
    Trev

16. magman

magman Thread Starter

Lol, was that it

Actually Mag man you are wrong IMO.Quarantining a fish reduces the stress on the fish in a HUGE way and this is why most fish do so well in QT tanks and start eating well then fatten up.

Dude I never QT a fish due to diseases never I simply just dont buy suspect fish. I QT fish to destress them and give them the chance to start eating well without any competition in their imediate enviroment for me the QT period ends when I am happy the fish has fattened up enough to survive the next period which is puting them in the DT, for example very shy eaters liek my Cheatodontoplu Mesoleucus Angels I QT for double the time I would QT my Emporer Angel for becuase the Emporer is a much more agressive eater you get the point. Also fish that are ether poor shippers or soft in gereral I will always begin the QT at a lower SG as it makes the fish much more relaxed and its easier for them to stay alive as they need a huge amount less energy to even just breath and I base the decision on what SG on the fishes condition at that point in time but I rarely go lower than 1015. Also the lower I go teh longer the fish stays in QT. For example In my experiance an angel same species and same condition ( assume poor condition ) the fish in QT at 1015 will last about 10days even if it doesnt eat and dies off where as the same fish in QT at SG 1025 will only last about 3 -4 days before dieing off so the lower SG will give the fish an extended period in which In my experiance 90% of the fish will start eating and recover to full health.

When I recently QT my new Moorish Idol pair in the same QT system was a Mesoleucus Angel a Blue Face angel and a Majestic Angel now the Moorish Idols I removed from the QT on Sunday and they are now inn my 1.2 DT. The Blue Face Angel has gotten my good to go stamp today only but the Mesoleucus angel is IMO at least another 5 days away from getting the good to go stamp ( if he continues at his current feeding rate ).

Again I never QT a fish for disease as correct fish choice will solve this problem but if I have an issue with a fish and a disease the fish is hospitalized which is another totaly different system.

Hope this makes sence
    Trev[/QUOTE]
    Thanks will look into it now as I am going for the better fish.

17. LuckyFish

I asked: Did you buy him like that? Or did this happen since he is in your DT?

You answered: the pics I took are from the night of the day I got him. This just tells me when you took the picture!
    I still don´t know! That is why asked twice almost the same question. People don´t read and rarely answer questions in threads.:(

Did you buy him like that? Yes or no

Or did this happen since he is in your DT? Yes or no

Last edited: 16 Aug 2010
  18. Andreas

Andreas

Buying livestock that looks in good nick is one thing, but you still take a huge risk as the fish might not show signs of distress right away. I think buying livestock is a hit and miss affair even if you try your upmost in only chosing livestock that looks healthy;)Remember LFS don't always drain their tanks and clean their equipment when other fish die of diseases and then they add in their next shipment and so on. There is plenty of oppurtunity for the fish to contract some disease and you could easily end up with a bigger problem that you had hoped for. I'm not saying that it will happen, but it could just be a matter of time before your luck runs out:whistling:Putting a fish in quarantine and tracking signs of distress etc in a seperate tank will be much easier to manage than pulling out dead fish from your main display tank so:)

Last edited: 16 Aug 2010
  19. magman

magman Thread Starter

Lol, I don't know, I would not of bought him like that, I usually check the fish, but Marcel, when they told me the price, and they said R850, I asked when he came in, they said the day before and I said bag and tag him. I was going to order one this week and was willing to pay upto R2k.
    To be honest, I have a feeling it happened somewhere on the way, or me after acclimitinsing, I use a net also to get him out the dish so that no lfs water goes in my tank.

I noticed it that night, and I did not notice it in the lfs, but I did not inspect the fish as I usually do inside the LFS.

20. Andreas

Andreas

How is the Queen doing today btw?

21. LuckyFish

I only use the net to catch fish. I never lift the net with the fish out of the water.
    I use a jar, scoop them out and transfer them into another tank or bucket or whatever is needed. If I don´t want the shipping water, then I take the fish with my hands out.
    For sure, I would not do it with a foxface or lionfish.;)
    One LFS caught a peppermint shrimp with the net and was battling to get the shrimp out of the net into the bag. When I arrived home and I checked the shrimp, she had on one side only one leg left. She survived, because she was in a plain tank. In a reef, I doubt she would have made it.

Recent Posts