Poseidon's 90 gallon SPS box

Poseidon

Plankton
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have been browsing the board, and I thought this would be a good place to introduce myself. My name is Mike LaPorte, and I live in Michigan, in the Northern USA. I have been a hobbiest for almost as long as I can remember, I had my first fish tank when I was 10, and I have had one pretty much ever since. My current tank consists of:

90 gallon glass tank, with CPR external overflow.
100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank for a sump
MRC MR-2 Skimmer that I modified into a recirculation model
DIY Ca Reactor, this is WAY overkill as it holds 50 pounds of media, I think that is over 100Kg!
GEO Kalk Reactor
ATO built by a fellow reefer, DonW, he can be found on another board
57W UV unit by Aqua Ultra Violet
T5 lighting, I built the fixture, but the ballasts are IceCap, I have a total of 6 bulbs.

Oh, and my sump is in my basement! I use a Blueline 55 for a return pump, and my tanks circulation duties are handled by a single Vortech MP-40w.

Here are some pictures! I know we all LOVE to see pictures right?

423975026_YpHiK-L.jpg

412161266_2eaaD-L-1.jpg

418579972_Bw7fJ-L.jpg

402254652_bJ92g-L-2.jpg

403026373_ikRat-L.jpg

315617985_APdwU-L-1.jpg

A couple sump pictures:

269305634_GVr3i-L-2.jpg

269307164_qCAWV-L-2.jpg

And finally a full tank shot:

442233945_WJSHy-L.jpg

Ok 2 FTS ;) :

442233791_hgqJy-L.jpg

And finally here is a link to my full gallery of Aquarium pictures, this includes images from fellow reefers tanks as well as my own.

Perfect Pix Photography- powered by SmugMug

I hope you enjoy the gallery!
-Mike

Last edited:

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Very nice setup you got there Poseidon and welcome to MASA.

Good to see more and more reefers from all over the world joining us :wave2:

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
Very Very Nice and welcome to masa.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I am going to use T5 as well, what colour combo are you using and in what order? Thanks

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
A very WARM WELCOME to MASA Mike! I am VERY glad that you found us, and joined MASA!

Awesome pics and awesome SPS corals! I am just blown away by the pic of the Acro, purple monti and green monti that grows from a centre point (being the acropora) outwards centrically......

WOW! Man!

Thanks for sharing with us!

Poseidon

Plankton
Reaction score
Nice to see somebody else using T5's with SPS. What make are they?
First, thank you for the very warm welcome everyone!

I use 6 T5's, all on IceCap ballasts with either IceCap or Tek II reflectors in this order from front to back:

Geismann Pure Actinic
Aquablue +
Pure Actinic
Aquablue +
URI 75-25
Geismann Actinic +

I found the the addition of the URI bulb really deepened the color of the acros. Before that bulb I would say the colors were bright, but pastel, now they are far deeper, especially the purple acro that is growing in the center of the montis.

Here is another image, with all the lights on:
442232826_VTPeP-L.jpg

as opposed to this:
377290055_fCoYF-L.jpg

Sorry that is not the best image of the purple, but you can still see the difference in color easily enough.

While I was looking for that second image, I found this one, it is one of my favorites:
377386417_KazWH-L.jpg

That is my 4 year old daughter, here is another one of her from when she was about 8 months old:
8400.jpg

Those images remind me of when I was a kid, and they are a big reason why the tank is still running. I'm sure power is expensive in SA as well, and keeping a reef tank isn't easy on the wallet, or the power bill is it? :lol:

dallasg

Reaction score
hey!
awesome tank and setup! and welcome :)

electricity is not to bad, but equipment is, rand dollar exchange. but DIY is where its at, my whole setup is diy

Poseidon

Plankton
Reaction score
Glad to hear that Dallas, I have a few DIY projects as well. I built my Ca reactor, and my light fixture. I am also working on a new basement sump system, I will add pictures of that as I have something worth showing. ;)

keyaam

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
Welcome to MASA Poseidon. Thank you for posting pics and they are awesome. Well Done:thumbup:

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Very nice system. How often do you replace your T5's?

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
Wicked tank, nice to see you can have great success with a really simple setup. Well done

seank

Kingi Angel
Reaction score
Welcome to Masa. Really nice setup you have there. Especially the Plated Montis growing into each other. Btw, cool pic of your daughter at the tank

Poseidon

Plankton
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the compliments! :eek:

I replace my bulbs at about 12 to 14 months, but I only do one at a time. This way I don't have to re-acclimate my corals to new bulbs when I do replace them. I am very happy with the combo I have now, it has taken me a few flubs to get here though. I tried a GE starcoat bulb, to yellow for me. I tried a ATI Pro Color, WAY to red, I have tried 2 Blue + bulbs, to BLUE.... that is the nice thing about T5 though, you can change the look of the tank, by changing out one bulb. (Only about $25 for them too.)

I do have some ATI bulbs that I am going to try, "Super Actinic" and "Actinic White" as URI claims these are stable while over driven. I guess we shall see...

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Yowza, awsum setup you got there. Welcome to MASA.

dallasg

Reaction score
Glad to hear that Dallas, I have a few DIY projects as well. I built my Ca reactor, and my light fixture. I am also working on a new basement sump system, I will add pictures of that as I have something worth showing. ;)
gotta love basements, here we dont really have basements, i would love a basement

dallasg

Reaction score
ps. my new 4ft, which i "turned" on today wants to grow up to be like yours