Port Edward reefers, or around there

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by Seabass, 16 Apr 2011.

1. Seabass

Seabass

Hi

I am going to Port Edward for a week of golf 29 April - 6 May 2011, was wondering if it is worthwhile to prepare myself for a bit of collecting of coral in the morning or evening. What do you guys / gals say.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

Bump

4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

definatley worth taking collecting stuff.. just make sure you get permits and be careful of removing coral etc.. the parkies are very strict up there...

5. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

Thanks Les, any suggestions of what I would require for collection tools.

6. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Errrmmm...... i would first start with a plan on what i would like to add to my tank and then having researched what is available in the area, set out to acquire those specimens. Collecting is fun and can have positives, but collecting, and then posting here on MASA for an "ID please" and "how to keep" is irresponsible.

Bud, enthusiasm is not your fault. We see this over and over all the time and I jump down every one's throat that thinks that all creatures one can lay their hands on in a rock pool is a candidate for a DT.

So research what you want to catch, have fun doing so, but leave what you do not know alone. By removing it you will most probably kill it. Besides, next time you will have researched what you saw, and will return to either try and catch it for your display knowing how to look after it, or observe it in its wonderful natural habitat. IMO a responsible collector.

On a lighter side, a net and bucket might be a good start.:whistling:

Last edited: 23 Apr 2011
  7. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

Agree with you Nemo, not going to collect fish, not taking that chance, as I am inexperienced, only thing I have ever collected is a couple hermit crabs and NSW.

More for coral collection, seen local collected zoas that guys post, love it. I have an idea of what I am able to keep alive and hopefully not fall into the category of collector who posts his mystery find and then ask you guys to I'd and how to keep it alive.

At the moment I am only taking my goggles, a old salt bucket I can close and probably a small screwdriver.

But now that you mention a net, could be used to collect local shrimp, I find them to be fascinating, always on the go, and some are very secretive. And have a small battery operated air pump for circulation / flow.

So zoas is my primary objective.

Nemo, how do I find out what is available before I go to Port Edward?

Thanks for input, just learning now.

8. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Bud the collecting of zoas is great fun. There are so many lovely different ones to be found.
    Just be careful with hermits and snails. @RiaanP is the best one to ask here. he will give you a good idea of the reef safe ones.

A good idea is to purchase the book "two oceans" "a guide to the marine life of southern Africa" . This will help you to identify the various species.

Have great fun, and enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

You can collect snails and hermits, just get your permit sorted.

Good idea to get yourself that 2 oceans book. Never go to the coast without it. It is not complete, but it does provide a good base for the more common found species. And an idea if it is ok to take, or better of left where it is.

Cowries, - best option in my opinion, Yellow ring cowries, Stay small and is a vegetarian. Pity they only active at night. Very difficult to see as they pull their mantel over their shells.

Nerita snails, awesome, problem is first month or two, they climb out. Especially with full moon. And if they fall off, you have to help them up agian, else they became hermit food.

Hermits, Yellow tip is nice, smaller than the blue -eyed hermit. Not as nice, but they are smaller and does not bother anything. Blue Eyed hermits, nice big white claw. But bigger specimens can bother corals and zoa's as they climb all over them.

But, most important, go prepared.

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

11. AndrévN

AndrévN

Seabass where you gonna stay at. Lots of rock pools down there. An estuary on the main beach down at splash rock. Even on the main beach at the entry there is some wonderfull rock pools and on low tide they full of life. Or at least they used to be. Manaba beach also has lots of rock faces with pools. Munster also has rock faces with pools and its easy to access on low tides. I stayed in Port Edward for 7yrs hehehe awesome little place. If you can get someone to help you out there is a hidden place on the Wild Coast Suns beach towards the transkei dude. Not easy to get in as the gates ate hidden and gets locked and is at the river mouth i think its the umtamvuma river if i remember correctly. We used to go down there when i did contracting work for the WCS. Loads of muscle, schrimp, crayfish and even caught a muscle cracker on the rocks but that is like 10km up on the beach tawards the transkei or let me say in the transkei. But you can visit all the beaches down there they all have rock pools and loads of live, just make sure you do have a permit and you take only whats allowed as the parks board is all over the place and full of shit.

12. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

Thank you all, staying at Glenmore Sands, self catering units. Only going to look around there. It is very close to the beach.

And I bought the book, not latest edition but at least they had one in stock and I have some sort of reference guide now.

13. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

Anyone have a list of what corals can be collected, getting mixed signals when discussing this with local reefers. I want to play golf not sit in prison, "pappa wag vir jou" :)

Hard coral, brain etc. SPS?

Last edited: 27 Apr 2011
  14. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

What corals are legal to collect?

15. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

Zero coral is legal to collect?

16. richardmatlock

richardmatlock

Zero HARD coral is legal to collect, softies require post-office permits and there are rules and regulations pertaining to quantity (weight).

17. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

Thanks Richard, was hoping you would reply.

Got my permit.

Last edited: 28 Apr 2011
  18. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

2.4 m waves, never thought low tied could be so wild, just look at the sea and it nasty. Fail.

19. seank

seank

:lol::lol: Same here. Boat is not near big enough to take on the ocean today, means my water collection will have to wait for another day :(

20. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

Any Port Edward reefers prepared to show me their tank, give a bit of local knowledge?

Here till Thursday.

PM me your no. I will call you back.

Anybody know a Port Edward reefer please forward the details or name, I am available most mornings and evenings. Playing golf during the day.

Cheers

Recent Posts