Porcupine Puffer?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by SterlingAce, 7 Jun 2014.

1. SterlingAce

SterlingAce

Hi everybody.

So I saw this little guy at the lfs and it's just the cutest! I've been keep fresh and brackish puffers for some time and just loooove them.

I use to have a marine tank many years ago but had to break it down because of studies, I have been doing a lot of research on the porcupine puffer to see if I would be able to take care of a monster like this. But I have found a lot of conflicting info, mainly on the tank size required?

So here is my question:
    If I get a porcupine puffer, house him alone with live rock and sand, have a filter and nice big skimmer....what size tank?

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I've seen one of these in a 6ft tank, I think he was near fully grown as he was about 30cm long, really big fish, the length of the tank seemed ok, perhaps a 7 or 8ft would have been more suitable, but the front to back was only 45cm's wide and to me he looked a bit cramped when trying to turn around as the tank was so narrow, not sure if it was his normal swimming style or what, but he was sort of trying to turn on the spot without swimming, which just looked awkward and uncomfortable to me, I would think a tank that is at least 60 to 75cm front to back would be needed.

4. SterlingAce

SterlingAce Thread Starter

From what I have read it is anything between 75gal to 180gal?

Recent Posts