porcelain crab

Reaction score
Hi all

Does anyone have any experience with Porcelain crabs? It is a hitchhiker on my live rock and I saw it for the first time last night - my tank has had the live rock in it for two months now. I have some dwarf zebra hermit crabs in my tank now. Not sure how safe they are together.

Can't get a picture of it to show you - but it has the filter fans at the end of it's foremost legs and appears to be a purple colour. Very evasive crab.

thanks!

B.

He's right man, theyre about R60 and really cool to have, very elusive though but cool to watch, hes a filter feeder so is very reef safe

Thanks for the feedback guys :D I guess that means he will be staying!

I certainly hope he becomes more visible over time.

B.

If you would live in Cape Town, I would come around and catch this evil creature for you, to save your life stock and take it with me. LOL
I'm wondering if anybody knows, if a porcellain crab adapts another host, like mushrooms or something. Anyone?

They are super cool to watch & are reef safe as I have 2 of these guys & they don't even bother each other on the same nennie, just waving to one another all day long. Enjoy the little bugger.
do they compete with a clown fish for the same nennie?

do they compete with a clown fish for the same nennie?

Size is important as always. ;-)
If nennie and crab are to small, then the clowns will chase the crab down to the foot of the nennie. But a porcellain crab in a small carpet nennie is just perfect.

porcelain crab and clown will fight and crab is very tenacious. may also host in frogspawn and happer coral

If you would live in Cape Town, I would come around and catch this evil creature for you, to save your life stock and take it with me. LOL
I'm wondering if anybody knows, if a porcellain crab adapts another host, like mushrooms or something. Anyone?

LOL. You'd be more than welcome to it :D

B.

Mine has hosted in a few corals:

pincushion
bubble coral
birds nest

and sinularia (which he stayed in for the longest)

They are really cool guys to have - you were really lucky to have scored it as a hitch hiker

pincushion
bubble coral
birds nest

They are really cool guys to have - you were really lucky to have scored it as a hitch hiker

That is exactely what I wanted to hear. I don't want to keep a nennie, but I have got a nice big sinularia. Will give it a try.
Thanks

That's cool! I'm thinking of getting a bubble coral as my first coral - so it would be interesting to see if it hosts this rather elusive porcelain crab.

B.

pincushion
bubble coral
birds nest

That is exactely what I wanted to hear. I don't want to keep a nennie, but I have got a nice big sinularia. Will give it a try.
Thanks

Sure man,

My question is:

Can I keep a whole bunch of them (say 4 + )?

Sure man,

My question is:

Can I keep a whole bunch of them (say 4 + )?

Two pairs in two different hosts. The same sex doesn't get along in the same host.

Back
Top Bottom