Pool pumps from builders

dallasg

Reaction score
hi all,

are the pool pumps form builders reef safe?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Dallas - the brand "SPECK" have been touted to be marine/salt-water safe....

Many people I have heard of have actually used SPECK's without any problems....

I think that some of the others might comment in this as well?

dallasg

Reaction score
cool thanks

Reaction score
Hi Dallas - the brand "SPECK" have been touted to be marine/salt-water safe....

Many people I have heard of have actually used SPECK's without any problems....

I think that some of the others might comment in this as well?
The speck pumps should be salt water safe as I have seen a live rock holding tank with one of these for flow

dallasg

Reaction score
i am going to use these to pump from my 1000L plastic tank to my 4 tanks, if the flow is 2 much, i will branch off a flow to itself

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
You need to check with the manufacturer, we used pond pumps in the UK but they always need to be marinised (steel pieces removed and replaced with either ceramic in marine grade SS.)

Reaction score
I use a Speck pump for my pool. Not the best quality pump IMO. From the time we had it installed it has never been able to start without a bit of manual help. ie making timer control impossible. However if they do prove to be reef safe then Pandoras box would be open to us all. They have some monster pumps available. Would love to learn more JB.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi SunBurst - I have seen QUITE a few DIY skimmers that ran on SPECK pumps. Also - a marine fish breeding system, that had it's supply done by a SPECK swimming pool pump.

Mike - Here's a quote from a website from the UK:
"Badu

Single Phase - Single Speed

The BADU Series is produced in several models all Single Phase - and Single Speed, and we are sure that there will be a model to suit your requirements...

The Speck Pumpen pump range are offered at a price of up to 20% and more off the normal list price. These are very reliable high performance units suitable for continuous operation in freshwater, marine systems and even some mild corrosive chemical applications. The Materials in contact with the water are 316 stainless steel and composite plastic."
(URL: Speck Water Pumps - The East Riding Koi Co.)

Reaction score
That has got my interest. Thanks JB. Serious flow at great prices. . Sounds like the ideal closed loop pump. Will start looking for a local supplier and check out the costs. :)

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
SunBurst - Builder's stock them. For the 0.45kW model, (pushing around 18000 litres per hour) costs around R1450 (plus-minus).... but, have a look - you could find it a bit cheaper perhaps.....

Reaction score
Don't they also generate a lot of heat?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Not the 450watt one's Tony.... BUT, I would still place it outside, if possible.... I had a 700 watt Boyu pump inside my sump at one stage, and my water temp went up by 2 degrees in total (+-870 litres of water)... And mine 700watt 26000 litre an hour Boyu was slightly more noisy than 2 LifeTech 5000 litre per hour pumps..