Polystyrene Foam

Reaction score
hey durban guys any idea where i can get polystyrene 1.5m X 700...everybody keeps 1.2m x 910

i have called abt every party theme shop as well as foam shop in durbs so far and still no luck !!!

any ideas??

ok...scratch that ..got a hit with a company called isolite(031 4650305) in Durbs....35bucks....worth all the calls i think ...sorry for answering my own quest...mods please delete this thread

ok...yup ,,,makes sense thalion...the company Isolite cuts to any thickness as well..anybody who wants to renew the polystyrene under their tank (new installation or a repair)in durbs could contact them for a new one....

You can only buy selected pieces from hardware stores etc.It is much better to buy the exact size and rather have one big piece:)Thanks Shiks.

Now who's going to empty their tanks to add new polystyrene:whistling:

Shiks, I had the same problem as you. I had to cut the polystyrene and stick them together and then place my tank over it.

ok well these isolite guys seem to be able to cut spec to order...they even could cut to 19mm or 17mm thicknesses......i think they are suppliers to foam industry....ooooooo i love dealing with main suppliers they can do such cool stuff.....and andreas was only suggesting for those undergoing an upgrade or repair ...hint hint

Sorry to highjack here - I've come across Isolite here in Pretoria too and I'm putting in my order soon but I'm unsure of the thickness, I have a heavy 2 meter tank planned on steel stand and probably wood support base - any ideas

well for the 1.5 x 700 x 700 i have planned i was told to go 2cm thick so my guess would be 25mm for you ??

i sorta have an idea...i think its abt weight ... am assuming my tank builder knows a few things abt even weight distribution which is why he also requested 18mm shutterboard underneath as well... made sense that the tank sits on top of polystyrene so when its filled with water the weight against base would flare out evenly (not causing a pin point break if there are any weak spots)...then that weight compressing the polystyrene would disperse against the shutterboard and which would also act to flatten or iron out any imperfections on the stand in case its not entirely level....i hope i am making sense bud...if i aint then maybe i am wrong

Back
Top Bottom