Polyp's TL450

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by polyp, 24 Jun 2013.

1. polyp

polyp

Hi Guys
    After much deliberation we finally went ahead and added our first coral into the tank. Hoewever, when we got home and added the pulsing xenia frag into the tank it was blue. Both of us (me and the missus) swear that it was pink when we got it in the shop. The xenia looks ok and open up nicely but we are worried about the color. Has it bleached?
    Also, about 3 wks ago I added a sun sun jvp101 where my lfs told me it was good enough for the tl450. Is it too strong. I recently replaced the uv stem to get the skimmer working again, as the airflow was broken on the old one.
    our tank contents are as follows: chamber 1 stock standard with uv and pump into skimmer with the black sponge removed. Chamber 2 stock skimmer - do i need to add anything into the skimmer, chamber 3 bioballs, LR(small pcs) aqnd ceramic noodles, chamber 4 stock pump with heater.

Tank parameters are as follows:
    PH 8.2 (red Sea test Kit)
    KH normal (Red Sea)
    Ammonia 0mg (Sera Test Kit)
    Nitrates slightly high around 25mg / litre (Sera)
    PO4 - 0.03
    Calcium Around 450pm (is this normal) (Red Sea Test Kit)

I also changed the LR yesterday since mine wasnt that nice. I bought two large pcs of Kenya Blue (or is it Fiji) that i really liked for 3 weeks now) I had my LFS take them out of the show tank.

I also got a hanger on with one pc but i dont know what it is (can anyone help)
    Please see pics attached.
    Do i switch off the wavemaker since when i do the xenia closes up. I took off the spray bar. does this help.

Inhabitants:
    1x tomato clown
    1x sand shifting snail
    1x dancing shrimp
    LR
    Xenia
    Substrate: crushed Coral
    :)

Any comments or suggestions please.

Cape Town-20130624-00294.jpg

Cape Town-20130624-00295.jpg

Cape Town-20130624-00298.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. polyp

polyp Thread Starter

oh yes i forgot temp is 25deg

4. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Hi polyp.
    As long as the xenia keeps on pulsing, it is happy. If it stops then there might be a problem.
    Xenia is one of the hardiest corals you can put in a tank!
    As for the flow pump... I think it might be too powerful for that size tank.
    In the tl450 tanks, you can easily get away with only a small 500-1000lph powerhead for flow.

5. Mrclownynennie

Mrclownynennie

I would take out the crushed coral will leach phosphates.I think the flow won't be to much of a problem as I can hear.Hope this helps:)

6. polyp

polyp Thread Starter

If I take out the coral do I need to empty the whole tank or can I just add in another substrate how can I cycycle another substrate

7. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I would also remove the substrate. I'll divide it into 4 parts and remove a quarter of the substrate with a siphon and replace it with new substrate once a week,while dosing special blend . This way it gives the critters,pods,worms etc a chance to move over to your new substrate and you will still have some life in your substrate.

8. polyp

polyp Thread Starter

Cool thanks. What substrate would you reccomend? Critters aint too much of a problem as I only have the one sand shifting snail and one dancing shrimp. Btw can anyone tell me the name of the coral in the first pic

Recent Posts